USD Legal Clinics are funded by University of San Diego and, in part, by grants from the State Bar of California and the U.S. Department of Treasury. Services are available to lower income individuals. If you are interested in obtaining free assistance from USD Legal Clinics, or have any questions, please contact us at (619) 260-7470.
Free legal assistance may be provided in these areas:
- Appellate: Handles the entire appeal from start to finish - brief to oral argument. These cases are referred from the pro bono panel at the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Civil: Includes consumer issues, breach of contract, uninsured motorist defense, fraud and consumer debt collection disputes.
- Education and Disability: Represents the parents of students with disabilities in cases ranging from IEP eligibility and services, placement, discipline and expulsions, 504 Plans, Early Start, Regional Center eligibility and services, and limited conservatorships.
- Entrepreneurship: Provides comprehensive legal assistance to individuals or groups who have questions about small business ventures, including non-profit corporations, whether starting or expanding a business; advises on trademark and copyright issues.
- Federal Tax: Represents lower-income taxpayers who have disputes with the Internal Revenue Service in matters such as collection action, audits, earned income tax credits and offers in compromise. Make appearances at U.S. Tax Court.
- Immigration: Offers assistance for immigration-related problems including asylum, immigrating family members, naturalization and deportation.
- Landlord Tenant: Represents clients in matters such as Superior Court unlawful detainer trials and in administrative hearings involving federally subsidized Section 8 termination proceedings.
- Small Claims: Provides assistance to individuals filing in the Small Claims Court (claims less than $10,000), and represents clients in small claims appeals in Superior Court.
- State Income Tax: Represents lower income taxpayers who are appealing state income tax disputes with the California Franchise Tax Board.
- State Sales and Use Tax: Assists taxpayers at the Petitions stage of proceedings with the California Franchise Tax Board in disputes regarding sales tax (such as vehicles and boats) and use tax (commercial).
- Veterans Clinic: Provides free legal assistance to veterans in disputes with for-profit institutions over the use of GI Bill funds and predatory lending associated with education loans. Legal services range from advice to identification of potential claims to representation of student veterans in litigation, arbitration and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. Visit the website.
Unfortunately, we are UNABLE to provide assistance with:
- Criminal Matters
- Discrimination Cases
- Family Law
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Estate Planning/Probate
- Worker’s Compensation Claims
Disclaimer: The Legal Clinics at University of San Diego School of Law provide training to upper-level law students while providing needed legal services to the community. All Legal Clinic students are supervised by a practicing attorney. We will make appointments for qualifying individuals to meet for an intake with a law student, on a space available basis. We do NOT accommodate walk-in clients. You can reach us by calling (619) 260-7470.