Featured USD Experts
School of Nursing
Dr. Linda Urden is Director of the Master’s and International Programs at the University of San Diego. She has held previous administrative positions with accountabilities for quality, research, education, advanced practice, redesign, and outcomes management in various health care settings. Her research is in the areas of safety, staff nurse empowerment, care delivery models, professional practice environments, and the impact of nursing on nurse-sensitive outcomes.
Dr. Urden is known for her work in critical care, evidence based practice, outcomes, work environment and Magnet cultures, and nurse executive decision support data bases. She has been an invited speaker at multiple administrative, quality, education, and research national and international conferences and venues. She has been an active participant and held elected positions in many organizations, including, AACN, AONE, STTI, and ANCC. She is a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing, and is the past Chair of the ANCC Magnet Recognition Program Commission, and member of the ANCC Board of Directors. She is the recipient of the 2007 Author E Hughes Career Achievement Award from the University of San Diego.
Dr. Urden has contributed multiple articles to a variety of professional journals, and serves on several editorial boards, including The Journal of Nursing Administration (JONA) and the NACNS Journal. Her two books- Thelan’s Critical Care Nursing: Diagnosis and Management, and Priorities in Critical Care Nursing, published by Mosby, are both in sixth editions and have been adopted in numerous undergraduate and graduate programs in the US and internationally.
- DNSc, University of San Diego, California
- MN, University of California, Los Angeles
- BSN, Pepperdine University, Malibu, California
- RN, Diploma, Barnes Hospital School of Nursing, St. Louis Missouri
- Urden, L., Stacy K., Lough (in press). Critical Care Nursing: Diagnosis and Management (6th ed). St. Lois: CV Mosby.
- Garon, M., Urden, L., Stacy, K. (2009). Staff nurses' experiences of a change in the care delivery model: A qualitative analysis. DCCN , 28(1): 30-38.
- Urden, L., Stacy, K., Lough, M. (2008). Priorities in Critical Care Nursing (5th ed), St. Louis: Mosby/ Elsevier. Chapter 1: Caring for the Critically Ill Chapter 2: Ethical and Legal Issues Chapter 3: Patient and Family Eduation Chapter 4: Psychological Alterations
- Urden, L. (2006). Rules of attraction. Advance for Nurses , November 27, 2006. Prussia, PA: Merion Publications, Inc.
- Urden, L. (2006). Transforming Professional Work Environments. In: Beyond Leading and Managing , P Yoder-Wise & K Kowalski (eds). Philadelphia: Elsevier Inc.