Featured USD Experts
School of Nursing
Director of Advanced Practice Nursing Programs
Susan Instone, Professor in Nursing, is the Director of the Doctor of Nursing Practice - Advanced Practice Nursing Program.
She completed her MSN degree (1989) and Doctor of Nursing Science degree (1996) at the University of San Diego. She is a certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner by the Pediatric National Certification Board and currently practices part-time in pediatric primary care.
Dr. Instone teaches in the DNP program. Her research interests include decision-making among children and parents with life threatening illness such as HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C and the use of standardized patients to improve clinical competencies among advanced practice nursing students.
- DNSc, Nursing Science, University of San Diego
- MSN, Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, University of San Diego
- BSN, Nursing, Mary Manse College
- Instone, S.L. (2000). Perceptions of children with HIV Infection when not told for so long: implications for diagnosis disclosure. Journal of Pediatric Health Care , 14(4) 235-243
- Instone, S.L. (2002). Developmental strategies for interviewing children. Journal of Pediatric Health Care , 16(6), 304-305
- Thurkettle, M.A., James, K., & Instone, S. (2002) Healthcare Utilization and stress management patterns in a college population. In Brief: Abstracts. American Journal of Health Promotion , 16 (6), 365-366.
- Instone, S.L., Gilbert, T.L., & Mueller, M.R. (2003). Barriers to HCV testing: A decade of Lessons learned. Policy, Politics, and Nursing Practice , 4(4), 288-294.
- Mueller, M.R., & Instone, S.L. (Fall-Winter 2005-2006). Illness trajectory, the diagnostic discovery of hepatitis C disease, and “The Accidental Tourist.” Journal of Applied and Clinical Sociology , 22 (2), 1-12
- Mueller, M.R., & Instone, S. (2008). Beyond the informed consent procedure: Continuing consent in human research. Science and Collective Health 13,2, 381-389
- Instone, S.L., Mueller, M.R., & Gilbert, T.L. (2008). Therapeutic discourse among nurses and physicians in placebo controlled clinical trials. Nursing Ethics , 15 (6), 803-812.
- Chen, J.Y. & Instone, S.L. (2009). Functioning and resiliency in families with children with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, VDM Verlag, Saarbrucken, Germany.
- Instone, S.L. & Mueller, M.R. (2009). Religious influences on the reproductive health decisions of HIV-positive Latinas on the Border. Journal of Religion and Health.