Featured USD Experts
Department of Leadership Studies
Focus: Leadership (Public Sector and Military)
Sub-Focus: Toxic Leadership, Defense Policy, Military
Dr. George Reed is an associate professor in the Department of Leadership Studies within the School of Leadership and Education Sciences at the University of San Diego. Prior to joining the faculty at the University of San Diego he was the Director of Command and Leadership Studies at the U.S. Army War College. He served for twenty-seven years as a Military Police Officer and retired at the rank of colonel.
He holds a PhD from Saint Louis University in public policy analysis and administration and a Master of Forensic Science degree from The George Washington University. His research and writing address leader development, leadership, and ethics. He teaches courses in leadership, ethics, and organizational theory and behavior. He is a frequent contributor to the Washington Post online feature, “On Leadership.”
- PhD, Public Policy Analysis and Administration; St. Louis University
- National Security Management Fellowship, The Maxwell School, Syracuse University
- Pennsylvania Education Policy Fellowship
- Armed Forces Institute of Pathology Forensic Sciences Fellowship
- MFS, The George Washington University
- BS, Criminal Justice Administration; University of Central Missouri
- Reed, G. & Bullis, R. C. (2009). “The Impact of Destructive Leadership on Senior Military Officers and Civilian Employees. Armed Forces and Society.” 36 (1) October 2009, pp. 5-18.
- Reed, G. (2009). “Both the Parts and Whole: Leadership and Systems Thinking. The Systems Thinker”, 20,  August 2009, pp. 9-11. Originally published in Defense AT&L , May-June 2006.
- Reed, G. (2009). “Chapter 1: Creating a Culture of Leadership Development. Strategic Leadership: The General’s Art.” Mark Grandstaff and Georgia Sorenson (Eds.). Vienna, Virginia: Management Concept, pp. 3-22.
- Reed, G. (2009). “Chapter 4: Systems Thinking and Senior Leadership. Strategic Leadership: The General’s Art.” Mark Grandstaff and Georgia Sorenson (Eds.). Vienna, Virginia: Management Concepts, pp. 77-93.
- Williams, D. & Reed, G. (2008). “Los Líderes Tóxicos.” Ergo. Publicación De Recursos Humanos de la Argentina. (Octubre-Noviembre 2008), pp. 48-54.
[E-mail directly to inquire for lengthier publications list.]