Vehicles and Travel, Domestic

University Vehicles

The University maintains a fleet of vehicles for the sole use of University employees and students in the conduct of University related business.  Personal use of University vehicles is prohibited, with the exception of vehicles specifically provided to named employees.
The Facilities Management Department maintains a current list of University vehicles, other licensed equipment and service vehicles, and is responsible for DMV registration. Whenever a vehicle is purchased, sold, or leased, the responsible department must provide the appropriate information to the Facilities Management Department.

Utility/Golf Carts

Employees and students must complete utility cart training prior to operating a utility/golf cart on campus.  Utility cart training includes watching a designated driver safety training video and passing the quiz using the following online training link, a review of the Utility/Golf Cart Safety Rules, and an in-person demonstration of how to operate the cart using the Cart Demonstration Checklist. Supervisors must keep the original documentation and forward copies of the signed Cart Driving Rules and Demonstration Checklist to for the driver to be added to the Authorized Cart Drivers List.

Vehicle Insurance

USD is insured for physical damage and liability for accidents involving USD-owned, leased and rented vehicles, provided the vehicles are being used within the scope of employment.

In the event of an accident:

On Campus:  Contact Public Safety (7777) and complete the appropriate reports.

Off Campus:  Contact the local police or Highway Patrol in accordance with applicable laws.  Exchange name, address, phone number and insurance policy information with driver(s) of other involved vehicle(s).  For rented vehicles contact Visa and notify the Risk Management office (2928).

Contact the Transportation Department (4253) for assistance in obtaining estimates for repair of the vehicle.

Rented Vehicles

USD maintains collision damage coverage for vehicles rented by employees in the course of doing business. Vehicle insurance for the rented vehicle is also provided through the USD Travel and Entertainment VISA card. Employees should use that card and the preferred providers whenever possible. 

Click here for Preferred Travel Vendor Information

The collision damage waiver should NOT be purchased. Provide a copy of the proof of insurance to the rental agent. (NOTE:  If the employee renting a vehicle is not eligible for insurance coverage under the USD policy they must purchase the full line of coverage from the rental agency.)

Click here for a Rented Vehicle Insurance Form

Rental of High Occupancy Vehicles:

10-15 Occupants

Vehicles designed to hold 10-15 occupants, including the driver, require the driver to hold a Class B License, with the passenger endorsement, but does NOT require the driver to be enrolled in the Drug and Alcohol testing program.

16+ Occupants

In accordance with the regulations set by the State Department of Transportation and California Highway Patrol, University employees operating vehicles designed to transport 16 or more individuals including the driver, are required to possess a Class B commercial driver's license, with a medical examiners certificate and passenger endorsement.  These drivers must also comply with Department of Transportation 49CFR part 382, and must be enrolled in the University's Commercial Motor Program. 

See Commercial Driver's License and Random Substance Testing section below for more information.

Commercial Bus Charters

All departments who contract for the services of a commercial bus company to transport students, faculty, alumni or guests are encouraged to use one of USD’s preferred charter bus vendors to get enhanced service levels, cost savings and customer service support.   The vendors have been pre-approved by the Office of the General Counsel and Risk Management and have a Master Agreement in place.  They may be contacted by using the phone numbers or links below.  Please state that you are with the University of San Diego to receive our contract pricing;

Goldfield Stage                  619-579-5300

Sun Diego Charter              619-336-9200

 If a vendor other than one listed above is used, the following requirements must be met:

  1. Insurance Requirements: Vendor must supply a certificate of insurance with University of San Diego named as additional insured and evidence of the following minimum limits of coverage:
    1. Commercial General Liability: $1,000,000
    2. Auto Liability Combined single Limit: $5,000,000
    3. Workers Compensation: State minimum
  2. Seating: All chartered vehicles must have a seat available for each person in attendance.
  3. The bus rental/charter contract must be submitted to and approved in advance by the Office of the General Counsel and the charter company must accept the bus contract addendum.

In the event of an accident

  • Obtain emergency medical care as needed
  • Contact the local police or Highway Patrol in accordance with applicable laws.
  •  Exchange name, address, phone number and insurance policy information with driver(s) of other involved vehicle(s).  If possible take pictures of the damaged vehicles.
  • Notify VISA and obtain a claim number if driving a vehicle paid for with VISA.
  • If driving a rental car, notify the rental company and complete their required forms, using the VISA claim number and contact information as the first source for coverage. 
  • As soon as feasible, notify the Risk Management Office (619 260-2928).  Forward a copy of the accident report and other pertinent documents (Include a copy of the car rental receipt, invoices for repair, VISA claim number and contact information, etc.) to the Risk Management Office. A secondary claim will be filed with the University’s carrier as needed.

Use of Personal Vehicles for University Business

USD employees may use their personal vehicle for university business (e.g. traveling to meetings). However, the vehicle owner's insurance is primary coverage and the employee may be held personally liable for injuries or damages to property. By opting to use their personal vehicle, the employee affirms their knowledge of this policy and that they have adequate vehicle insurance coverage (meets state insurance requirements) and an unrestricted driver's license. The University’s insurance coverage may provide excess coverage. Payment of the deductible portion of the employee’s personal insurance will be determined based on the factors of the accident and is at the discretion of the department.

Cell Phone Usage While Driving

Effective July 1, 2008, California law prohibits drivers from using a wireless telephone while operating a motor vehicle unless the driver uses a hands-free device.  Drivers who violate the law will face fines and penalties.

The law provides for several narrow exceptions.  For example, a driver may use a wireless telephone for emergency purposes, such as to make an emergency call to a law enforcement agency, a health care provider, the fire department or another emergency services agency. 

Please note that individuals under the age of 18 may not use any wireless telephone or other mobile device while driving a motor vehicle, even if the device has a hands-free feature.  The law recognizes an exception in emergency situations to call police, fire or medical authorities.

The University of San Diego requires all members of the university community to comply with all applicable laws while driving university vehicles or while driving any other motor vehicles in connection with university-related activities or business. 

Drivers Roster

Only USD employees and authorized students and volunteers are allowed to drive USD vehicles. Authorized drivers must possess a valid driver's license and be insurable by the standards of the University's vehicle insurance carrier. Drivers of vehicles designed to carry 10-15 passengers including the driver, must possess a valid Class B license with a medical examiners certificate and passenger endorsement.  They must also be properly enrolled in the University's Commercial Motor Program.  Click here for a list of USD driving rules.

All students driving a university vehicle must complete the required on-line driver safety training prior to being authorized to drive a USD vehicle. Click here for Driver Safety Training information.

The Risk Management Department maintains a roster of drivers authorized to operate University vehicles. This roster is updated at least annually, and whenever new drivers are added. Prior to inclusion on the roster, the employee or student must complete a Driver Record Access Authorization.

Click here to download Driver Record Access Authorization

The drivers roster is forwarded to the University's insurance representative or brokerage firm for review. The Risk Management office is notified if a driver's record is not approved, and will forward that information to the applicable department manager and employee. Said employee may not drive USD vehicles until the arising from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) review is resolved.   If said employee is required to rent a vehicle for business purposes they must purchase full insurance coverage from the rental company.

Insurability:  To be an authorized driver, his/her driving record must meet the following criteria:

1. No Capital Violations (defined by insurer as) within 5 years.  Examples include.

  • Driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs
  • Refusing to take a substance test
  • Driving with an open alcohol container
  • Fleeing or evading police or a roadblock
  • Criminal conviction with a motor vehicle (e.g. felony, hit and run, negligent homicide, vehicular assault)
  • Speed in excess of 25 MPH over the speed limit.

2.  No Major Violations (defined by insurer as)


A.  Within 3 years

  • Maximum of 1 moving violation in the last 3 years in combination with one at fault accident, or
  • Maximum of 2 moving violations in the last 3 years with no at-fault accidents or
  • Maximum of 2 at-fault accidents in the last 3 years with no moving violations,
  • Driving with a suspension, revocation or administrative restriction;
  • Leaving the  scene of an accident as defined by state laws;


B. Within last 12 months

  • Any combination  of two or more moving violations, at-fault accidents or preventable accidents

Prior to operating a University vehicle, the driver agrees to:

  • Possess a valid driver's license for the type of vehicle to be driven.
  • Use a University vehicle for authorized business only.
  • Not allow any unauthorized person to drive the vehicle.
  • Inspect the vehicle for safety concerns, check the tires, wipers, lights and safety equipment for observable defects. Report any defects immediately to his or her supervisor.
  • Use seat belts and require all occupants to do likewise in accordance with state laws. The number of passengers should not exceed the number of seat belts.
  • Operate the vehicle in accordance with USD regulations, know and observe all applicable traffic laws, ordinances and regulations, and use safe driving practices at all times. Drive the vehicle at speeds appropriate for road conditions.
  • Assume total responsibility for any and all fines or traffic violations associated with use of a university vehicle or privately-owned vehicle on University business.
  • Not drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
  • Not transport unauthorized passengers .
  • Remove the keys and lock the vehicle when it is left unattended.
  • Not drive the vehicle off-road unless it is designated for that use.
  • Immediately report all accidents or traffic violations to supervisor and Public Safety.
  • Be subject to applicable University disciplinary procedures for violations of university policy or rules.

Commercial Driver's License and Random Substance Testing

In accordance with the regulations set by the State Department of Transportation and California Highway Patrol, University employees transporting 16 or more individuals including the driver, are required to possess a Class B commercial driver's license, with a medical examiners certificate and passenger endorsement. The driver must also comply with Department of Transportation 49CFR part 382.  Every employee operating these vehicles must be enrolled in the University's Commercial Motor Program.

The drivers operating these vehicles are subject to random testing for drugs or alcohol.  Positive test results will be cause for immediate suspension of privileges to drive USD vehicles and may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.

Departments operating vehicles for 16+ individuals are required to follow all state and federal DOT regulations for the operation of said vehicles and the hiring, testing and supervision of drivers.

Field Trips and Voluntary Field Activities

A field trip is an off-campus educational/instructional/service experience provided to students.  Field trips may be voluntary or part of course requirements. All participants of voluntary trips must sign a Student Activity Liability Release.

Whether voluntary or part of course requirements, all field trips have inherent risks.  It is the responsibility of the instructor/leader to inform all participants of the potential hazards and risks of participation and to adequately advise the participants of pre-trip preparations, equipment and/or supplies that will be needed, conduct expectations, etc.  University employees must exercise reasonable care to protect and supervise students while they are participating in a field trip.

Instructors/leaders should not transport students in their personal vehicles (See Use of Personal Vehicles above.).  Unless university owned vehicles or chartered vehicles are used, students are required to arrange their own transportation. Students who wish to share rides must make these arrangements independently.