Undergraduate Research Opportunities
As a USD student, you will have tremendous opportunities to strengthen your education in collaboration with accessible faculty mentors on a range of research, scholarship and creative projects, many of them funded by USD and external research grants.
Our students are invited to display the results of their research at USD's Undergraduate Research Conference, Creative Collaborations. Students also present their research at various local, national and international conferences, and some students' projects are published in scholarly journals.
You will have many opportunities and resources to pursue your research and scholarly interests, including:
- Pre-Undergraduate Research Experience (PURE) offers summer research opportunities to incoming students who will begin classes at USD in the fall and who may be the first in their families to pursue a college education.
- Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) provides funds to USD undergraduates to conduct summer research with a USD faculty mentor.
- The Honors Program offers a four-year interdisciplinary curriculum integrated with a student's major. Students conduct original research projects in the form of a senior independent study project.
- Community Service-Learning offers a wide range of service-learning classes that incorporate community partnerships into the class curriculum and can include both research and internship opportunities.
- McNair Scholars are partnered with faculty mentors in their discipline, formulate a research plan and receive stipends to support their research projects.
- The Hayes Scholarship/Fellowship provides funding to support research in the sciences.
- Independent study allows students to conduct research on a topic of interest by enrolling in an independent study course. In addition, research can be conducted as part of an international study abroad course.