You can usually revalidate an expired visa automatically when returning from a visit of not exceeding thirty days to Canada, Mexico, or one of the islands adjacent to the United States (other than Cuba) provided that you have a valid SEVIS Form I-20 and a valid unexpired Form I-94. This process is known as automatic visa revalidation.
- However, if you meet any one of following criteria, you will not be able to automatically revalidate your visa.
- You applied for a new visa and it has not been issued
- You applied for a new visa and were denied
- You have a terminated SEVIS record indicating that you are out of status
- You have been out of the United States for more than thirty days
- You are a citizen from one of the following countries:
[Reference 8 CFR 214.1(b)(1)]