Install Microsoft Project for Windows
Last updated 6/4/2013
Note: You will need to download Microsoft Project 2010 for MSGL 532. Since you will only be able to download one copy (unless you follow some additional lengthy procedures), carefully choose the PC you want to install Project on. You won't need to uninstall the software upon graduation--it's yours too keep and it is a full-fledged, permanent version. If you want Project on an additional computer, you can download and install the 2007 version.
Note for Mac users
Project run onlys on PCs (and there is no Mac version), so you'll need to either get access to a PC (netbooks now are about $275) or purchase VMWare Fusion or Parallels software so that you can run Windows on your Mac. Bootcamp is included with your operating system and is therefore free, but can be difficult to figure out how to use. You will also need a copy of Windows 7 or 8 to install on top of Fusion or Parallels. The PX and USD Bookstore sell them at a good price, or you can can order an installation DVD for about $25 through the Microfoft DreamSpark site, using the same instructions for Project 2010.
If you still have difficulty installing Project or feel that it is too burdensome of a process,you can use Merlin2 for the Mac instead to complete your courework. Some students have tried using a free open-source alternative called ProjectLibre, but I recommend that you ask Dr. Tepltiz (firstname.lastname@example.org; 619-260-4867) first before doing so.
Instructions for installing Project if you already have Windows already installed
- Check your Toreromail e-mails (including the Trash and Junkmail folders) for a message from "email@example.com" with the subject line: "An account has been created for you." You might have gotten that e-mail a few months ago. In the e-mail, click the link under "Complete Your Registration:" to create your account.
- If you can't find the e-mail, go to http://msdn06.e-academy.com/usd_is and click "Sign In" in the upper-right corner of the home page and click "Register." under the sign-in box. For your "Username," see if your @sandiego.edu will work. If you get a notice saying your registration is not complete, click the underlined "click here" and fill out the form, then click "Register." You can then sign in using your username and new password.
- After you log in, click "Applications" in the left-navigation menu.
- Click "Microsoft Project 2010," then on the next page, click "Add to cart" next to the "Microsoft Project Professional 2010 with Service Pack 1 32/64-bit (English) - DreamSpark" link. Click "I Accept" on the bottom of the "" page, and then "Proceed With Order." Keep in mind that you can click "Mail Order" if you want a $25 installation disk (preferred method). If you order the disk, skip to step 8. By the way, if the version of Project matches the version included with your text book's trial version, you might be able to unlock the trial version without ordering the $25 installation disk.
- If you want to download project instead of ordering the installation disk, click the"Start Download" button. Have a blank CD ready to burn.
- On the next page, click "Download Options." Click the "Microsoft Project Professional 2010 with Service Pack 1 32/64-bit (English)" link, then click "Start download" on the next page. Follow the instructions to download the "SDM" and "SDX" files to your desktop. After double-clicking the "SDM_EN" file, double-click the "Shortcut to Secure Download Manager" that appears (it's purple with a lighting bolt through it), then start the download.
- Click the green "Launch" button that appears, then burn the "Disc image file" to a blank CD. Eject, then re-insert the CD to install Project.
- When you use the Project installation CD, it will ask for a "Product Key." To get this, copy-paste the "Serial Number" you get from the "Your Account/Orders" section of the Microsoft DreamSpark site (the link is on the upper-right corner of the screen). Find Project 2010 from the list of software you ordered, then click "View Details" and find the "Product Key."
- To launch Project, click the Windows start menu on the lower-left part of the screen, choose "Programs" or "All Programs," then find the "Microsoft Office" folder. Then click "Microsoft Office Project 2010." The first time you use Project, you have to activate it online to complete your installation.