Poster Preparation for Printing at USD Instructional Media Services
- Undergraduate Research Conference presenters may print one poster at no charge through USD Instructional Media Services (IMS). There is a limited amount of funding to help cover the printing costs. Students who have previously presented a poster at a regional or national conference are encouraged to present their previously-printed poster at the Undergraduate Research Conference.
- The no-charge campus printing will occur during the scheduled poster print times in April that must be scheduled in advance. Student presenters who indicate on the Abstract Submission Form that they would like to utilize the free poster printing through IMS will be sent an email message with information to schedule a poster printing time in April. If you do not show up for your scheduled print time you may need to print your poster off-site at your own cost (about $100). Students are responsible for the cost of all off-site printing.
Tips for Preparing your Poster File
- Students are encouraged to attend a Poster Design Workshop offered by USD Instructional Media Services.
- Please note that your poster should be no larger than 42"x 36." If you are using Microsoft PowerPoint, you need to enter a custom size. On a Mac, go to File--Page Setup and choose Custom under the "Slides sized for" category. Then specify the size of your poster. On a PC (PPT 2010), go to Design tab and choose Page Setup. Type in the dimensions of your poster.
- To avoid formatting problems, use Myriad or Garamond as your type font. Titles are usually around 72-144 pt and continuous body text should be around 18-30 pt.
- Avoid using low-resolution images. Images captured from the web are usually low resolution. Ideal resolution is 150 pixels per inch at placement size.
- Review the document "Developing Successful Posters Using Microsoft PowerPoint" for additional tips to design and prepare your poster.
- Save your finished PowerPoint file on a flashdrive and please name your file using your first and last name (first_lastname.pptx). Bring the flashdrive with you when you go to IMS for your scheduled poster printing time.
- Double-check your work carefully for accuracy. You are responsible for ensuring your file does not contain any mistakes! Reprints at IMS will cost you $40 each.