Proposed action objective:
In response to identified needs and wants of undergraduate, graduate and law students, to expand and renovate the Hahn University Center (UC), making it the central gathering place for the USD community, a locus for leadership development and student involvement, a dining and retail center that serves the practical needs of students, faculty, staff and visitors to campus and a source for student learning and development through its co-curricular programs and services.
How does this objective contribute to one or more of USD’s overall strategic goals?
- The expanded UC will include an expanded Multicultural Center (MC), which will serve the goal of fostering and supporting diversity and inclusion on the USD campus. The MC Center will provide resources and programs to assist in developing a culturally competent USD community.
- The expanded UC will provide additional space for student associations and organizations and offer multiple opportunities for the leadership development of students
- The UC’s programs will focus on developing integrated learning experiences in collaboration with faculty, the Joan B. Kroc School of Peace Studies, University Ministry, Alumni, and the surrounding USD community.
- The UC staff will collaborate with faculty to further develop the Liberal Arts Beyond the Classroom Initiative.
- The expanded UC will become a “hub” for campus life, a central gathering place for building stronger relations among students, faculty alumni and friends and prospective students. in the larger community as well as a place for forging stronger relations with alumni, business associates and other supporters of the University.
Who is responsible for implementing and monitoring this objective?
- A University Center expansion committee with representation of students from the Associated Students, the Student Bar Association, the Graduate Student Council, faculty, alumni and staff from various areas of student life will be formed and will work with architects in the design of the new facility to ensure that it meets the expressed needs of students and supports and enhances the achievements of the University’s strategic goals through its services and programs .
- The Associate Vice President of Student Affairs & Dean of Students will continue to take a lead role in establishing and leading the committee. The responsibility for implementing and monitoring this objective lies within the Student Development division in Student Affairs.
What steps are necessary to achieve this objective?
- Board of Trustees approval of the project (April 29, 2005).
- Establish the UC Expansion Committee.
- Prepare a philosophy statement for the enhanced UC.
- Utilize data gathered over the past two years through the initial expansion committee, consultant focus groups and all-student survey to identify key components of the new facility.
- Explore with faculty and staff ways in which the expanded UC can support and be integrated with developing first-year and sophomore-year experiences.
- Provide avenues for faculty members involved in the Integrated Learning Initiative: Liberal Arts Beyond the Classroom to have a more active role in the selection of programs.
- Explore other ways in which faculty and alumni can be active collaborators with students and Student Affairs staff in the development of integrated learning experiences for students.
- Conduct a comprehensive review of current programs and services (including hours of service) and develop staffing plans for all service areas in the building.
- Establish mechanisms for ongoing communication with the USD community regarding the project (Website, et al).
- Develop plan for continued operation of current services and programs during construction.
- Determine operating budget for the expanded UC.
- Develop staffing plan for expanded UC.
What measurable indicator(s) can be used to monitor progress?
- Committee established and working
- Plans developed and approved
- Plan for operation during construction developed
- Operating hours, budget and staffing developed and approved
- Plan for ongoing assessment of UC services and programs developed
- New UC opens
- Ongoing assessment continually reviews services and programs
Proposed timeline—what is to be accomplished by:
|2006-07||Construction begins (Spring 2007).|
|2008-09||New UC opens.|
|2009-10||Assessment plan for UC services and programs in place.|
What resources will be required to accomplish this objective?
|Personnel||Additional staffing to support expanded hours and services.|
|Space||74,713 square feet.|
|Technical||Wireless throughout the building. Computers in lounges. One-stop shop center.|