Resources for Researchers
The scholar-practitioner model is alive and well in SOLES where research interests cover a wide range of issues and topics. Multidisciplinary research is the norm, whether conducted by our students, faculty or centers and institutes.
USD provides a variety of resources to assist researchers. Listed below you'll find information and tools to assist in finding sources of funding and remaining in compliance with rules and regulations applicable to SOLES.
The services of OSP are available to faculty, administrators, and students who are mentored by a faculty advisor.
Finding Grants and Research Funding
When considering sources of funding to support research, consider government and private organizations, especially private foundations. These databases provide access to a vast number of funding sources.
- PIVOT: The largest database for funding sources. Training on the database can be scheduled with the Office of Sponsored Programs at 619-260-4553
- Grant Advisor Plus
- Grants Alert
- Grants.gov e-mail alerts
Links to Possible Sources of Funding
Although the following links are a small sampling of the types of funding sources available, many of them fund research and initiatives suited to the kind of scholarly work being done at SOLES. Before contacting a foundation please coordinate with the USD Foundation Relations Office for advice, counsel and best practices. That office can provide valuable insights on the funding strategies and objectives of many of the foundations that provide funding for research.
- Education Funding
- National Science Foundation
- Health and Human Services
- Guggenheim Foundation Grants for Natural, Social Sciences and the Humanities
- Russell Sage Foundation for research in the Social Sciences
- Social Science Research Council Fellowships and Grants
- 100+ Places to Find Funding For Your Research
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- James Irvine Foundation
- The San Diego Foundation
- Rancho Santa Fe Foundation
- County of San Diego Grant Programs and Community Partners
- Jewish Community Foundation San Diego
- Weingart Foundation
- Foundation Center Directory Online
- Alliance Healthcare Foundation
- Price Family Charitable Fund
Faculty Development Grants
Each semester a limited amount of funds are set aside for faculty development workshops, symposia and certification opportunities that are in furtherance of SOLES' strategic directions. Faculty members are encouraged to apply to the Associate Dean’s office for faculty development grants. While the funds are not for conference attendance, registration fees for pre-conference workshops and events that advance faculty learning would be considered. As an example, registration fees for a workshop for faculty who wish to learn a new research method, or a symposium on effective grant writing would be favorably received.
- AGM Common Proposal Form
- Common Proposal Budget Template
- University of San Diego Overview
- SOLES Overview