Master of Education in TESOL, Literacy, and Culture
Department of Learning and Teaching
Students in the M.Ed. in TESOL, Literacy and Culture include current and aspiring teachers from all over the world. Some of our students have already taught English to speakers of other languages, while others are seeking to enter the profession. Read on for profiles of our students and information on alumni outcomes.
Graduates of this program go on to teach English to speakers of other languages in English language academies, community colleges, and other adult education settings in the U.S. and abroad. Some alumni who already hold elementary and secondary teaching credentials teach in PK-12 schools in the U.S. Some alumni have gone on to doctoral programs in linguistics or other disciplines. Our graduates have gone on to teach a variety of countries including:
The following list includes examples of schools and colleges in which our alumni teach or have taught:
- International School of Macaé, Rio de Janero, Brazil
- International School of Panama
- Los Angeles Unified School District Adult ESL Program
- America's Finest Charter School (AFCS) in San Diego, CA
- Valle Lindo Elementary School
- Mira Costa Community College
- The English Language Institute at the University of California, San Diego
- Latin American Montessori Bilingual (LAMB) Public Charter School in Washington, DC
- California Baptist University
- North Virginia Community College
- Education First (EF) Language School
- The English Language Academy at the University of San Diego
- Guajome Park Academic Charter School
- California State University, Dominguez Hills
- International English Academy in Redondo Beach, CA
- Parkway Middle School
- San Diego Christian College
"As the Academic Coordinator of the English Language Academy, a rigorous English language program at USD, I am always looking for outstanding instructors. Fortunately, I haven't had to look farther than the graduates of the Masters Program in Culture, Literacy, and TESOL. Currently, three of the 12 instructors on staff at the English Language Academy are graduates of this program; and in our summer program, over half of the instructors are SOLES graduates. The program's dual focus on theory and practical teaching skills has produced professionals with the passion and knowledge to make a real difference in the lives of our students."
- Deborah Sundmacher, Academic Coordinator, USD English Language Academy
Outcome 1: M.Ed. in TESOL, Literacy, and Culture students will demonstrate content knowledge specific to their areas of study.
Outcome 2: M.Ed. in TESOL, Literacy, and Culture students will apply learning theories and relate the application of the theories to specific sociocultural contexts.
Outcome 3: M.Ed. in TESOL, Literacy, and Culture students will apply appropriate pedagogical approaches in specific learning environments.
Outcome 4: M.Ed. in TESOL, Literacy, and Culture students will apply the research and analysis tools for thinking about and investigating educational questions through research.
Outcome 5: M.Ed. in TESOL, Literacy, and Culture students will demonstrate growth in ethical behavior, positive values, and inclusive and respectful approach to diversity. Candidates will reflect on and gain an understanding of how to support the development of diverse learners through their curricular and instructional decisions.