History and Facts
SOLES, in its past and present states, is the second oldest academic unit at the University of San Diego. Founded in 1962 as an academic department of Education within the College for Women, then in 1972 as the School of Education, the School of Leadership and Education Sciences has greatly broadened its academic programs as well as capacity for enrollment over the past forty years.
- The School of Leadership and Education Sciences is home to 4 departments: Leadership Studies,
Learningand Teaching and Department of Counseling & Marital and Family Therapy as well as the Naval ROTC program.
- These departments and programs offer graduate doctoral and masters degree programs; certificate and credential programs; and undergraduate minor programs.
- SOLES is also home to undergraduate minors in Leadership Studies, Education and Naval Sciences
- Total enrollment for SOLES as of Fall 2016: 939 students
- Graduate Students: 825
- Undergraduate Students: 114
- The doctoral program in leadership studies has over 315
alumswhose diverse work is showcased in the Dissertation Library in the Hill Hall Reading Room.
- We are proud of the commitment and contributions of our 34 full-time faculty members, 40+ affiliate faculty members, and 30 administrators and staff.
- Our faculty are involved in numerous research projects, utilize new and innovative pedagogies, and engage in a diverse range of scholarship activities that embody a commitment to a model of education that serves the goals of social justice.
- SOLES is home to and affiliated with 10 academic centers and institutes that strengthen connections for SOLES students and faculty both locally and internationally.
- Caster Family Center for Nonprofit and Philanthropic Research (2004)
- Character Development Center (1995)
- Educational Leadership Development Academy (2001)
- Global Center (2001)
- Hansen Summer Institute on Leadership and International Cooperation (2012)
- Jacob's Institute for Innovation in Education (2007)
- The Institute for Nonprofit Education and Research (2004)
- Leadership Institute (2000)
- Manchester Family Child Development Center (1989)
- SOLES has a highly engaged and committed Advisory Board comprised of local business and community leaders, alumni, and current & former educators from San Diego County.
- The work of our faculty, students, alums, and friends is highlighted in our bi-annual newsletter Horizons.
- Each year, SOLES honors legendary contributions to the field of education made by individuals in San Diego and Imperial Counties with our Remarkable Leaders in Education ceremony and award.
SOLES, in its past and present states, is the second oldest academic unit at the University of San Diego.
|1949||Charters granted for the San Diego College for Women (SDCW) and San Diego University, which was comprised of the San Diego College for Men (SDCM) and the Law School.|
|1951||Construction of SDCW completed (now Founders and Camino Halls)|
|1952||Mother Margaret Guest appointed department chair of SDCW. Mother Rosalie Hill is named
|1960||First Masters of Education degree from SDCW|
|1963||SDCM adds Single-subject Teaching Credential|
|1972||SDCW and SDCM merge to become the School of Education (SOE).
Monsignor Dr. William Elliott is appointed
|1979||Drs. Joseph Rost and Phil Hwang establish
|1989||DeForest Strunk Chair in special education is endowed creating the first SOE Chair at USD.|
|1998||Dr. Paula Cordeiro is appointed
|2005||The School of Education becomes the School of Leadership and Education Sciences (SOLES).|
|2007||Construction of Mother Rosalie Hill Hall is completed. SOLES moves to its new home.|
|2008||SOLES is ranked among the top 100 national universities in graduate education programs.|
|2009||USD celebrates its 60th birthday and the doctoral program in leadership studies turns 30.
SOLES is ranked among the top 100 universities in graduate education programs for the second year in a row.
|2009||SOLES becomes the new home of the university's renowned AROTC and NROTC programs and the Naval Science minor for undergraduates.|
|2012||SOLES celebrates its 40th anniversary.|
Before moving to its current location, SOLES/SOE resided in several other locations on campus, including Harmon Hall (current site of Degheri Alumni Center) and the west campus buildings of Coronado and Barcelona. SOLES now resides in the Mother Rosalie Hill Hall, a
In 1945, Mother Rosalie Hill, superior vicar of the Society of the Sacred Heart, stood on a hilltop in San Diego with Reverend Charles F. Buddy, first bishop of the Diocese of San Diego. The two religious leaders envisioned building two institutions that would provide the best in sacred and secular learning. A few years later those colleges were founded.
Mother Hill was a gifted educator and administrator and served as principal of the Sacred Heart School in Boston during the 1920s. In 1929, Mother Hill was named Vicar of the Sacred Heart Western Province and served as the supervisor for the San Francisco College for Women in the 1930s. It was in San Francisco that Mother Hill met Bishop Buddy and the two made plans to establish a university in San Diego. Mother Hill was the founding president of the San Diego College for Women and served as an honorary president until her death on December 12th, 1964. Mother Hill embodied the compassionate service and dedication to educational equity that is foundational to the mission and vision of SOLES.
Bishop Charles Buddy is also honored as an educational pioneer in Hill Hall. The building's Sala (Spanish for