In the Field
October 2008 – Washington, D.C. / IPJ
- Alliance for Peacebuiding (AfP) Collaboration Connections on Nepal. Dee Aker, interim executive director, and Laura Taylor, former senior program officer, share the IPJ Nepal Project with a coalition of diverse organizations working together to build sustainable peace and security worldwide.
October 2008 – Kathmandu, Nepal
- Today’s Youth Asia Magazine: “If Not Now, When?” Dee Aker
July 2008 – United Nations, New York
- 2008 Biennial Meeting of States – "Civil Society and the Geneva Declaration Process" was delivered by Shobha Shrestha, SAP-Nepal in coordination with the International Action Network on Small Arms (IANSA), during the review progress on the UN Programme of Action on Small Arms.
- Press Release
June 2008 – IPJ
- IPJ Special Event - "Peace Works: IPJ Nepal Project and Partnerships." Details.
- Inside USD: "IPJ Recognized for Years of Peace Work in Nepal." Denise T. Ward. Article.
June 2008 – Kathmandu, Nepal
- Today’s Youth Asia Magazine: "Electing Peace: Polls Mark Progress in Nepal." Laura Taylor. Article.
May 2008 – Kathmandu and Western Development Region, Nepal
- "Uniting for a Democratic Peace" - IPJ team Dee Aker, Interim Executive Director, and Laura Taylor, Senior Program Officer, return to Nepal. Final Report.
- Participatory Seminar - Women, Politics and Peace, Working for a Just Society IX "Gender Power: Activating a Common Agenda" for women leaders in politics facilitated by Dee Aker, IPJ Interim Director, Laura Taylor, IPJ Senior Program Officer.
- Participatory Seminar – "The Power of Negotiation: Constructive Communication Techniques" for political leaders and policymakers in the newly elected Constituent Assembly facilitated by Dee Aker, IPJ Interim Director, Laura Taylor, IPJ Senior Program Officer.
- Everest Summit Award – IPJ received distinguished honor.
- Community Dialogues in Puranchour VDC, Lamachour VDC, Bharatpokhari VDC on how to continue to engage in CA process post-elections.
- Roundtable –"Reaching Stable Peace: Roundtable on Reconciliation" for security sector, political parties and civil society facilitated by Laura Taylor, IPJ Senior Program Officer.
- Youth Forum – "Transitions and Transformation: Linking Justice with Peace in Nepal" with Today’s Youth Asia facilitated by Laura Taylor, IPJ Senior Program Officer.
- Consultations with Nepali political party and civil society leaders, U.S. Ambassador, and international NGO representatives in Nepal to assess potential windows of opportunities and remaining challenges following Republic Day.
April 2008 – Rancho Bernardo, California
- World Affairs Council – North County Chapter: "Nepal at the Crossroads" IPJ Interim Executive Director Dee Aker and Program Officer Laura Taylor reported on history of the conflict in Nepal and the recent constituent assembly elections. University of San Diego Masters of Peace & Justice Studies student Shobha Shrestha of Nepal joined the IPJ team during the interactive dialogue to contextualize the cultural challenges that face the newly elected body.
April 2008 – Kathmandu, Nepal
- Elections Observation: IPJ Interim Executive Director Dee Aker will join The Carter Center elections observation mission to support "political efforts to create an environment that is conducive to conduct an electoral process, to include the voices of Nepal's diverse communities, and to deliver constituent assembly election results that enjoy credibility in the eyes of the Nepali people." View Elections Observation Scrapbook.
March 2008 – USD
- Bridges Academy Lecture: "Forging Peace and Justice at Home and Abroad: The IPJ Nepal Project" IPJ Interim Executive Director Dee Aker and Program Officer Laura Taylor reported on the dynamic nature of their work in Nepal – sharing best practices in global peacebuilding with the university students and the San Diego community to advance the IPJ’s work of educating for social and political change.