Name: Katie Johnson
Hometown: Upland, CA
Major: English, minor in Communication and Leadership
Dream Job After College: Travel writer, a global volunteer abroad, or professional outdoor guide
Why did you join the guide program? To do awesome outdoor activities and meet cool, down to earth people
I am adventurous because…I want to see the WHOLE world and push my own limits
Favorite trip/outdoor activity: kayaking, hiking, canyoneering, white water rafting
Favorite National Park: Zion!
Favorite outdoor location in San Diego: Sunset Cliffs
Favorite place to hang out on campus: Behind the IPJ or anywhere outside in the sun!
Weirdest food you have created and/or ate: Jonathan’s PB and Jo (Tortilla with PB, Jelly, and Oreos) or s’macos
Craziest trip experience: Hiking, camping, rafting in Costa Rican forest
Worst injury from an outdoor trip: Gnarly scrapes on my leg from mountain biking in Mammoth
If you could go one place in the world where would you go? ARGENTINA, Patagonia or anywhere in South America
Funniest outdoor trip experience: Getting lost with Molly and Caiti while guiding a canoe and concert trip
What is one thing people don’t know about you? I have had 4 eye surgeries and I love really sentimental TV commercials
What certifications and trainings do you have: Wilderness First Responder, Leave No Trace, Class B Driver, REACH facilitator, CPR, First Aid, Lifeguard, Water Safety Instructor
Favorite piece of outdoor gear: My rain jacket and my sleeping bag named ‘Luscious’
What are five things you wish you knew prior to starting college?
- It is okay to feel uncomfortable in the beginning, but don’t let it hold you back from trying new things and meeting people
- Try things you never thought you would, they may become some of your favorites
- Explore San Diego and take advantage of all it has to offer
- Time goes by really fast so try to live in the moment and enjoy where you are
- READ everything. Read books, read magazines, read the newspaper and know what is going on in the world
"I had so much fun in Costa Rica. I can't imagine my honeymoon being that amazing!"
Katie in Costa Rica
Katie's Favorite Trips:
- Costa Rica 2011
- Zion National Park 2010
- Guide Training
- Torrey Pines Night Hike