Eighth Annual Climate and Energy Law Symposium
"The Changing Landscape of Energy and Climate Policy in the West"
At the University of San Diego’s Eighth Annual Climate & Energy Law Symposium, academic and policy experts will analyze and assess three aspects of this complex issue.
- Stephen P. Ferruolo, Dean and Professor of Law, University of San Diego School of Law
- Cassandra Wells, Editor in Chief, San Diego Journal of Climate & Energy Law
- Scott J. Anders, Director, Energy Policy Initiatives Center, University of San Diego School of Law
- Travis Kavulla, Commissioner, Montana Public Service Commission and President and Chairman, National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC)
- DeAnn (Dede) Hapner, Vice President, FERC and ISO Relations, Pacific Gas and Electric Company
- Adrianna Kripke, Senior Environmental Counsel, San Diego Gas & Electric
- Moderator: Scott J. Anders, Director, Energy Policy Initiatives Center, University of San Diego School of Law
PANEL ONE: CAISO Expansion
- Melissa Powers, Jeffrey Bain Faculty Scholar and Professor of Law and Director and Founder of the Green Energy Institute, Lewis and Clark Law School
- John Anders, Senior Counsel, California Independent System Operator
- Matthew Freedman, The Utility Reform Network
- Seth D Hilton, Partner, Stoel Rives
- Moderator: Tim Duane, Visiting Professor of Law, University of San Diego School of Law
PANEL TWO: Regional Approaches to Climate Policy in the West
- Jonas Monast, C. Boyden Gray Distinguished Fellow, Assistant Professor and Co-Director of the Center on Climate, Energy, Environment & Economics (CE3)
- Danny Cullenward, Research Associate, Near Zero Program, Carnegie Institution for Science
- Craig Segall, Senior Staff Counsel, California Air Resources Board
- Moderator: Carrie Downey, Councilmember City of Coronado, Adjunct Professor of Law, University of San Diego School of Law
PANEL THREE: State Approaches to Climate and Energy Policy in the West
- Jason Eisdorfer, Utility Program Director, Oregon Public Utility Commission
- Steven Ferrey, Professor, Suffolk University Law School
- Mark James, Assistant Professor and Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Energy and the Environment, Vermont Law School
- Noah Long, Director, Western Energy Project, NRDC
- Moderator: Nilmini Silva-Send, Ph.D., Assistant Director of Energy Policy Initiatives Center (EPIC) and Adjunct Professor, University of San Diego School of Law
Hugh & Hazel Darling Foundation
Originalism Works-in-Progress Conference
Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice at the University of San Diego
Sponsored by the Center for the Study of Constitutional Originalism, the conference will involve the presentation of a variety of new works concerning originalism. All scholars who are interested in originalism are invited to attend. This conference is made possible through support from the Hugh & Hazel Darling Foundation.
Conference Introductory Remarks
- Introductory Remarks by Mike Rappaport
- Presentation: Jamal Greene (Columbia): "Rule Originalism"
- Commentary: Michael McConnell (Stanford)
- Presentation: Larry Solum (Georgetown): "The Constraint Principle"
- Commentary: Richard Fallon (Harvard)
- Presentation: William Baude (Chicago) and Stephen Sachs (Duke): "The Law of Interpretation"
- Commentary: Randy Barnett (Georgetown)
- Presentation: Kurt Lash (Illinois): "The Due Process Understanding of the 1866 Civil Rights Act"
- Commentary: John Harrison (Virginia)
- Presentation: John McGinnis (Northwestern) and Michael Rappaport (San Diego): "Defending Original Methods"
- Commentary: Chris Green (Mississippi)
- Presentation: Jeffrey Pojanowski (Notre Dame) and Kevin Walsh (Richmond): "Enduring Originalism"
- Commentary: Mitch Berman (Penn)