USD Legal Clinics are funded by University of San Diego and, in part, by grants from the State Bar of California and the U.S. Department of Treasury. Services are available to lower income individuals. If you are interested in obtaining free assistance from USD Legal Clinics, or have any questions, please contact us at (619) 260-7470.
Free legal assistance may be provided in these areas.
- Civil: Assists in supplemental Social Security Income and Social Security disability, uninsured motorist defense and consumer issues.
- Entrepreneurship: Provides comprehensive legal assistance to individuals who wish to start or expand a small business or not-for-profit organization, as well as for trademark and copyright issues.
- Environmental: Assists community environmental organizations with air and water pollution issues, waste facilities issues and EPA matters.
- Immigration: Offers assistance for immigration-related problems such as asylum, immigrating family members, naturalization and deportation.
- Income Tax—California: Represents low-income taxpayers who have disputes with the Franchise Tax Board in matters of state tax appeals.
- Income Tax—Federal: Represents taxpayers who have disputes with the Internal Revenue Service in matters such as collection actions or audits, earned income tax credits and offers in compromise.
- Landlord Tenant: Represents clients in matters such as Superior Court unlawful detainer trials and in administrative hearings involving federally subsidized Section 8 termination proceedings.
- Small Claims: Provides assistance to individuals filing in the Small Claims Court (claims less than $7,500).
- Special Education: Represents the parents of children with special needs with public school issues including IEP eligibility and services, placement, suspensions and expulsions.
Unfortunately, we are UNABLE to provide assistance with
- Criminal Matters
- Estate Planning/Probate
- Family Law
- Medical Malpractice
- Discrimination Cases
- Worker’s Compensation Claims
The University of San Diego School of Law Legal Clinics provide training to upper-level law students while providing needed legal services. All Legal Clinic students are supervised by a practicing attorney and are bound by the Rules of Professional Conduct established by the State Bar of California. When space permits, we will make appointments for interested individuals to meet for an intake with a law student. We are not able to accommodate walk-in clients.