Academic Technology Services (ATS) is the largest unit of ITS with over 40 professional staff and over 50 students to support services that we offer to the academic community. We work very closely with all other ITS partners to bring you the most reliable infrastructure and network operations that we possibly can. These steps below will help get you started at USD.
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE ON CAMPUS
Please complete your Before Your First Day checklist for Human Resources including the final step of filling out the Confidential Employee Information form before going through these steps. Your access to all of our computing systems begins after you have completed all of the neccessary Human Resources forms and documentation.
Once you submit the forms contact Human Resources at 619-260-4594 or visit Maher 101 in person when you arrive on campus to obtain your Banner ID, needed to proceed with the following steps.
1. Using your Banner ID to create your MySanDiego username/USD email address
With your Banner ID you can now setup your MySanDiego username that will also be used for your USD email address.
Create your MySanDiego account (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Within hours after completing the setup of your MySanDiego account, you can use your MySanDiego username to access the following USD sites to get more familiar with campus.
MySanDiego - Online portal/USD community, course rosters
USD Exchange Faculty/staff web-based email
USD LMS Blackboard Olé (see Instructional Support and Training section for more info)
If you are experiencing difficulties or need assistance in using this form to activate your MySanDiego account, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 619-260-7900.
2. How to order your new computer
- First check eligibility requirements
- Review the standard list of standard specifications for desktop or laptop options. If you need assistance making your selection, please contact the Computer Order Desk (email@example.com x4167) or your hiring department.
- Complete the New Computer Request Form
- Any additional configurations (other than the standard hardware or above listed campus licensed software), will require pre-approval from the departmental liaison to cover the cost.
- All computers come pre-installed with Microsoft Office (site licensed), Internet Browsers, and Anti Virus.
Additional specialzed programs and applications may be requested such as include EndNote, ArcGIS, and Respondus.
- Upon submission of requests, computers will be ordered and configured by our technical staff and will be shipped to the designated department or room ready for your arrival
3. How to order software
Click here to see a list of Software available to you at no charge. Important: Specialized software requests may require departmental authorization before you submit the online form and may subject to a departmental charge.
Standard Printers - ITS as part of the green initiative is moving towards purchase of multi-function (MFP) printers for departmental use. Please contact your department chair.
4. Additional forms to obtain access
Please review our policy on Responsible Use of University Computing Resources, the university's computing guidelines. In order to provide you with access to additional university systems such as Active Directory (AD - for Exchange, the faculty/staff email system, VPN, and faculty storage space, ect) you will need to complete the Staff and Faculty User Registration Form and submit it to Maher 170.
5. Technologies, support & services
- The University Learning Managment System is Blackboard 9. Here for more information such as training options or how to request a course.
- University email for faculty and staff is Exchange http://exchange.sandiego.edu
- University portal system is MySandiego http://my.sandiego.edu
- Teaching and learning technologies available (link to the page with list of technology that we provide). For faculty instructional technology information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Training is provided through the university IT-Training program -- we offer workshops throughout the year to faculty/staff/students -- please see the list of offering and how to register.
- Faculty File Storage/Backup - 20 GB of personal server storage space
- Academic Technology services events -- we encourage you to attend one of the many events
Who can I call if I am having trouble with my computer?
- ITS Help Desk and Desktop Support
- Search the Help Knowledge Base
- Submit a Help Request online
- Security - Protect your personal information
- Phishing - Report suspicious emails: email@example.com
Computing Labs | firstname.lastname@example.org | x2765
How do I reserve a lab, or request that special software be installed in a lab for my class?
Instructional Media Services | email@example.com | x4567
Web Services | firstname.lastname@example.org | x7600
How do I go about getting access to a web site?