Pre-Health Peer Mentors
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR
2014 PRE-HEALTH PEER MENTORS!!!
Why Become a Pre-Health Mentor?
The purpose of becoming a mentor in college is to create a trusting and helpful relationship, which will assist incoming students with the challenges associated with the beginning year of college. Peer Mentors take on the responsibility of assisting students’ growth and development by providing academic and personal support. Mentors are also expected to be a role model and assist with setting goals for their mentee, both academically and personally.
Peer Mentor Expectations
- One year commitment (Spring 14 to Fall 15)
- Mentors assigned 10-15 students/10 hours per month of mentoring activities
- Attend a 2 hour orientation in Spring 2014
- Attend & participate in the Freshmen Pre-Health Orientation Part 2 (Spring 14)
- Attend & Participate in the Exploring Health Careers Forum (Spring 14)
- Attend & Participate in the Pre-Health Orientation Part 1 and Pre-Health Sophomore Strategy Session (Fall 14)
- Maintain contact with mentees (3x semester)
- Participate in 2 Peer Mentor meetings per semester (4 Total)
- Maintain contact with Pre-Health Advisor by submitting monthly logs
Peer Mentor Responsibilities
- Provide guidance and friendship during the early pre-health student stage
- Provide an insight to your experience as a college student
- Provide information about campus resources and activities
- Provide information about San Diego and the local community resources
- Serve as a role model and a positive source of support
Peer Mentor Eligibility
- Must be a Junior at the time of application (Fall 2013). Seniors that are graduating in December 2014 are also eligible to apply
- Minimum 3.2 GPA
- Pursuing a health career
- High level of maturity & responsibility
- Must be able to commit to the “Peer Mentor Expectations” above
- Strong oral presentation skills
Mentoring can be in the form of…eating together, meeting for coffee, studying together, attending a lecture/workshop together, doing something in SD together, emailing each other, texting/calling each other, etc.
How to Apply
Email Cassandra Gomez at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application. Complete and submit an application by Friday, November 1. Applications are to be submitted to the Dean’s Office, Founders Hall 114.