Bookmark and Share

Liberal Studies

Transfer of Course Work

For current majors intending to transfer course work from another institution

Recall the following rules:

  • No LBST Core courses may be transferred if listed as **NO SUBSTITUTIONS in handbook/bulletin
  • No online courses
  • No courses can be taken Pass/Fail
  • Any transferred course must be passed with a grade of "C or higher"

USD students planning to take a degree requirement or elective at another university must follow the steps outlined in the online process on your MySanDiego portal, under My Academics / Transfer Credit Processing. Refer to the FAQ document posted there (Requesting Transfer Credit Approval.pdf) for the full explanation of the process.

Upon completion of the workflow, there is no guarantee that USD will approve the course you are interested in transferring. You must complete the following steps BEFORE ENROLLING OR TAKING THE CLASS to determine whether or not the course has been approved.

Two possible workflows may be initiated:
1) You may request ‘Transfer Credit Petition’ for approval of a previously articulated transfer course.
2) You may request ‘Transfer Class Articulation’ for review and approval for an external course not currently approved for transfer credit.

Note: Be sure to fill out the required information on the form completely. All the information about the course is located on the website of the university or college where you want to take the course. If any part of the form is not filled out the form will not be processed. Please note that many departments will require a syllabus before approving a new course from another institution.

Remember that you must have an official transcript from the external institution sent to the USD Registrar's Office upon completion of the class. If you do not put in this request your academic record will not reflect that you took the course.