Transfer of Course Work
NOTE: Before planning to transfer course work from another institution first recall the following rules:
- No LBST Core courses may be transferred if listed as **NO SUBSTITUTIONS in handbook/bulletin
- No online courses
- No courses can be taken Pass/Fail
- Any transferred course must be passed with a grade of "C or higher"
USD students planning to take a degree requirement or elective at another university must process the “Undergraduate Petition for Transfer of Credit Form” provided on the linked page:
Even though you fill out the form, there is no guarantee that USD will approve the course you are interested in transferring. You must complete the following steps BEFORE ENROLLING OR TAKING THE CLASS to determine whether or not the course has been approved.
1. Fill out the undergraduate petition for transfer of credit form completely. All the information about the course is located on the website of the university or college you want to take the course at. If any part of the form is not filled out the form will not be processed.
2. Take the form to your Liberal Studies advisor first. Once the Liberal Studies advisor signs the form, they will contact you so that you can pick it up.
3. After you obtain the Liberal Studies advisor’s signature, you need to take the form to the appropriate department chair. For example, if you are interested in taking a history class at a community college, then you will need to take the form to the history department chair. You can find the current department chair by using the USD website.
4. Each department at USD has its own protocol on how they process the petition for transfer of credit form. Some departments will email you to pick up the form others will send the form directly to the dean’s office for the final signature. It is your responsibility to determine the department’s protocol and follow it. Please note that most departments will require a syllabus before approving any substitutions from another institution.
5. The final signature on the form must be obtained from the Dean’s office, which is located in Founders Hall 114.
6. After all signatures are obtained, you will receive a copy of the form and so will the Registrar’s office and the Liberal Studies office.
Immediately upon completion of the course, the student must request that an official transcript be sent to the USD Registrar's Office and to the Credential Analyst. If you do not put in this request your academic record will not reflect that you took the course.