Internships/Careers for English Majors
The English Department will post here career opportunities for English majors and minors:
- Internships/Volunteer Work
- Job Opportunities
- USD Career Services Events
- Research Opportunities
- Graduate School Opportunities
- Writing Contests/Publication Opportunities
- Articles/Career Advice
- Etiquette Tips
ENGLISH DEPT CAREER Events
The English Department will hold an English Dept Career Lunch event on Thursday, November 13, 2014, in Mother Rosalie Hill Hall (MRH), Room 102 ("SOLES"). Guest speaker will be Aneesha Awrey, new USD Career Services career counselor dedicated to the College of Arts & Sciences. Look for more info on complete program, food, and more to come soon!
The English Department held an English Dept Career Night for English majors & minors, Interdisciplinary majors, Undeclared majors, and any other interested students during Spring 2014 semester on Tuesday, March 25, 2014. Guest panelists Ebony Tyree, Valerie Attisha, Madison Levine, and Paul Davis, all USD English major alums, spoke about their careers, the value of the English major, and advice for the first year after graduation. This event was co-sponsored by Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. Look for future events!
USD's Career Services job and internship board, ToreroLink, is a great source for finding both jobs and internships. Students, go to the link: https://usd-csm.symplicity.com/students/ and then log in and view jobs and internships that are posted by employers!
USD Athletics Sports Marketing Intern: Are you a current USD student interested in a career in sports marketing? Are you enthusiastic with a genuine love for sports? Apply now by emailing email@example.com.
Know of an available Internship offer? Share it with USD Career Services! Report internships to: http://www.sandiego.edu/careers/outcomes/internship-offer.php.
Seniors! Did you know you’re eligible for a FREE Premium Job Seeker account from LinkedIn? Which means your profiles will be seen by more prospective employers. To get more information and to activate your upgrade, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Know of an available Job opportunity? Share it with USD Career Services! Report jobs to: http://www.sandiego.edu/careers/outcomes/job-offer.php
USD Career Services events
- Fri, Sept 19 & Sat, Sept 20, 2014: Senior Seminar
- Tue, Sept 23, 2014: 12:30-2:00pm in Serra 215: Peace Corps Information Session
- Tue, Sept 23, 2014: 4:00-5:00pm in Serra 215: Interview Strategies Workshop
- Fri, Sept 26, 2014: 12:30-1:00pm in Serra 215: Job Search Workshop: Overview & Basic Resources
- Tue, Sept 30, 2014: 12:30pm in Serra 215: FBI Careers & Honors Internship Program Information
- Tue, Sept 30, 2014: 4:00-5:00pm in UC 107: The Art of Salary Negotiation Workshop
More information on events at: USD Career Services.
- SURE Award (Summer Undergraduate Research Experience). More info: www.sandiego.edu/sure, or email: email@example.com.
- McNair Scholars Summer Research. More info: www.sandiego.edu/mcnairscholars/, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduate School Opportunities
- USD Test Preparation Courses: Succeed on the LSAT, GMAT, GRE and SAT tests.
- California State University Long Beach: Master of Arts in English*: csulb.edu/english/MA.
- University of California Santa Barbara: MA/PhD graduate program* in English and American Literature.
- Oregon State University: Master of Arts in English*: oregonstate.edu/cla/wlf/ma
- New York University: Master of Science in Professional Writing*: scps.nyu.edu/mspw/086
- University of York: English Literature Postgraduate Studies*: www.york.ac.uk/english.
- Fellowships at The Huntington*: www.huntington.org.
- Are you attending Grad School and have already been accepted? Share the news! Report graduate school acceptances at: http://www.sandiego.edu/careers/outcomes/grad-enroll.php.
Writing ContestS/PUBLICATION OPPORTUNITIEs
- USD's Cropper Creative Writing Contest in Poetry & Prose. Look for info soon on the Fall 2014 contest!
- Article “This Is Irrefutable Evidence Of The Value Of A Humanities Education,” by Carolyn Gregoire, January 28, 2014.*
- Article "Carlyle Co-Founder’s Formula for Success: Study the Humanities," by Chad Bray, January 23, 2014.*
- Article "Who Says Liberal Arts Majors Can't Make a Good Living?" by Sally Herships, January 22, 2014.*
- Article "How Liberal-Arts Majors Fare Over the Long Haul," by Beckie Supiano, January 22, 2014.*
- Article "To Work or Not to Work: 5 Jobs You Can Get With an English Degree," L.A. Times, January 9, 2014.*
- Article "For Better Social Skills, Scientists Recommend a Little Chekhov," by Pam Belluck, October 3, 2013.*
- Article "Why I Hire English Majors," by Steve Strauss, June 23, 2013.*
- Article on the Value of a Humanities Education: "Thinking About the Public," by Paula M. Krebs, April 5, 2013.*
- Article: "What Do Employers Really Want from College Grads?" by Amy Scott, March 4, 2013.*
- Article: "The High Cost of Poor Writing Skills," by Bill Kozel, October 16, 2009.*
- Etiquette Tip-of-the-Week: www.cultureandmanners.com/.* Sign up for a weekly tip!
- Etiquette Tip: How to Proof Your Email.*
- Etiquette Tip: Friend Etiquette Applied to Your Employer.*
- Etiquette Tip: When Texting is Vexing.*
- Etiquette Tip: Jacket On, Jacket Off.*
- Etiquette Tip: Rules of Interviews and Alcohol. *
- Etiquette Tip: Administrative Professionals. *
- Etiquette Tip: A Grateful Alternative.*
If you are an English Major/Minor Alumni, please share your career status with us and we will share here. Send to: English@sandiego.edu.
* Disclaimer: Paid and unpaid internship or job opportunities, and other information posted here for informational purposes only. The postings do not constitute an endorsement by the University of San Diego of the opinions or activities of the internship, job opportunity or information posted.