Security/Risk Management/Laws

To ensure that your event runs smoothly, and that all in attendance are safe, the appropriate measures regarding staff and security should be booked in advanced.


Campus Safety

For in-house security call Public Safety at x7777 at least 2 weeks prior to your event. Public Safety must be contacted for all events hosting 200 people or more.

Out-Sourced Security

If your event is too large to be monitored by public safety, or is being held off-site please contact the SLIC at x4802.


In case of an emergency or illness, contact Public Safety at x2222

Event Registration:

For risk management purposes, events that have not gained the approval of the University cannot be promoted with the name and/or logo of the University or University Affiliated organizations. In order to properly register your event, you must also fill out one of the following forms:

Complete an EvR
Greek Life Social Event Planning Form

Liability Waivers

Some activities on and off campus with additional risk will require participants to fill out a Liability Waiver. 

Liability Waiver

Off-Campus Events/Liability Form:

Are you leaving campus? Your event must be registered using EvR. If so, you must get all participating members to sign the USD Activity Liability Agreement and Release Form.

On-Campus Events with Risk

  • Events involving risk of some sort (Climbing Wall, Attractions, Jousting, Bull Riding, Races, etc) should be reviewed by your Advisor and Risk Management.
  • Insurance or additional waivers may be required for these type of events.
  • For additional questions, contact SLIC x4802.

Copyright Law: Showing movies on campus

In order to show a movie for a program or event, you need to obtain the rights. Movies can be ordered through Swank Motion Pictures.

What the Law Says:

The present copyright law establishes the principal that a copyright is property and no one can use someone else's property without permission of the owner or the owner's licensing agent. To protect this property right, the law gives the copyright owner the right to license any public performance of the work with only a few exceptions to this provision. The law also permits the owner or licensing agent to collect a fee when others use the protected work. It is because of copyright enforcement efforts that schools are now hearing of their obligations under the law.

By law, as well as by intent, the pre-recorded home videocassettes and videodiscs which are available in stores throughout the United States are for home use only - unless you have a license to show them elsewhere.

The Federal Copyright Act (Title 17 of the United States Code) governs how copyrighted materials, such as movies, may be used.

Neither the rental nor purchase of a videocassette carries with it the right to show the tape outside of the home. No license is required to view a videotape inside the home by a family or social acquaintances, and home videocassettes may also be shown, without a license, in certain narrowly defined face-to-face teaching activities (Federal Copyright Act, Title 17, section 110.1). All other showings of the home videocassettes are illegal unless they have been authorized by license.

Taverns, restaurants, private clubs, prisons, lodges, factories, summer camps, public libraries, day-care facilities, parks and recreation departments, churches, and non-classroom use at schools and universities are all examples of situations where a public performance license must be obtained. This legal requirement applies regardless of whether an admission fee is charged, whether the institution or organization is commercial or non-profit, or whether a federal or state agency is involved.

Businesses, institutions, organizations, companies or individuals wishing to engage in non-home showings of home videocassettes must secure licenses to do so - regardless of whether an admission or other fee is charged (Section 501). This legal requirement applies equally to profit-making organizations and non-profit institutions (Senate Report No. 94-473, page 59; House Report No. 94-1476, page 62).