Patricia Pak-yu Chu Yeung
Associate Director of the HKU Family Institute
- B.B.S., M.S.W., R.S.W.
Patricia Chu is associate director of the Hong Kong University Family Institute. Previously the deputy director of the Social Welfare Department, she also served as the chairperson of the Social Workers Registration Board from 1997 to 2002 and the chairperson of the Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC) from 2003 to 2004.
With a strong vision in promoting family work in the region, Chu brings with her a wealth of experience and expertise in the family services and policy development into her capacity as associate director of the institute. A member of the management committee, she also represents the institute in dealing with its external affairs as well as the development and monitoring of the Master of Social Sciences in Marriage and Family Therapy Program. She has been instrumental in setting up the International Conference on Couples in 2005 and the Consortium of Institutes on Family in the Asian Region (CIFA) in 2007, of which she becomes the chairperson.
Chu’s involvement with the institute has greatly expanded its scope of operation and built up its international capacity. She is an irreplaceable asset not only to the institute, but also to the development of the family field in the region.
- Chairman, Council, Consortium of Institutes on Family in Asian Region (CIFA) (Nov 2007 – present)
- Member, HKU Space Social Sciences & Education Advisory Panel (Jan 2006 – present)
- Member, Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal Panel under Section 9 of Legal Practitioners Ordinance (Cap.159) (Sept 2005 – present)
- Chairperson, Equal Opportunities Commission (Dec 2003 – Dec 2004)
- Member of Equal Opportunities Commission (Aug 2003 – Dec 2003)
- Member of Executive Committee and Chairman of Fund-raising & Publicity Sub-committee, Hong Kong Anti-Cancer Society (Dec 2002 – Dec 2003 & Dec 2004 – present)
- Associate Director and Member of Management Committee, HKUFI, The University of Hong Kong (Sept 2003 – Dec 2003 & Dec 2004 – present)
- Chairperson, Social Workers Registration Board (l998 – 2002)
- Justice of Peace under Section 3(l)(a) of Justice of Peace Ordinance (l997 – 2003)
- Deputy Director of Social Welfare, Social Welfare Department, HKSAR (l996 – 2002)
- Member of Sub-committee on Privacy, Law Reform Commission (l989 – 2000)
- Bronze Bauhinia Star (BBS) by the HKSAR Government in 2000 for her contribution to the social welfare field; and
- Rotary Centennial Service Award for Professional Excellence by Rotary International District 3450 in celebration of Rotary's 100 years.