Protect Your Property
Thefts from residence hall rooms, administrative buildings, classrooms, and campus apartments are one of the most common crimes on college campuses nationwide. Protect your property:
- Lock your door when leaving your room or office, even for a short period of time.
- Never hide your keys outside your room or apartment. Don't have your name or address on your keys.
- Inventory personal possessions, making a record of make, model, and serial number of the items. You may borrow an engraver from our Department of Public Safety to mark your possessions with your driver's license number.
- Reduce your chance of bicycle theft by always locking it with a high quality lock.
- Take valuables such as stereos, computers, and jewelry home with you at semester break times.
- In libraries, recreational facilities, classrooms, and dining halls, property such as textbooks, book bags, and purses should never be left unattended. You should mark the inside cover of all your textbooks with your name and address and mark one or more of the later pages with your initials or other markings.
- When using lockers in recreational facilities, always secure your property by locking the locker. Do not leave the locker unsecured while showering or exercising. If possible, avoid keeping money or valuables in lockers.
- If you work in an office, keep your purse locked in a cabinet or drawer. Never leave it unsecured in, on top of, or underneath a desk.
- Make certain your personal property at USD is covered by your own renter's insurance or your family's homeowner policy, otherwise, your losses are unrecoverable.
- Report all thefts to the Department of Public Safety immediately, this is critical to us, it helps us identify patterns, find solutions and craft crime prevention efforts.
Crime Prevention Home Page
Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D)
Facts On Acquaintance Rape
Residence Hall Safety
Hate Crime/Bias Incidents Response Procedures
Weapons/Harmful Materials And Objects
Alcohol and Other Drug Policies
Campus Tram/Escort Service/College Cab