How to Request to Certify at USD

If you have any questions about VA Education Benefits, please contact our certifying official Nelson Chase,

All students* wishing to use VA education benefits of any kind must fill out the Request to Certify for each semester they would like to use benefits, even if they have previously processed benefits before.

  • Students completing the form for the first time must submit a VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) with their form. 

  • A student must be registered for classes for the upcoming semester to complete the form. 

*Law School and Paralegal Students do not use this form. They should contact their program to certify their education benefits.

Request to Certify Form: Academic Year 20/21 

After the form is submitted, the Military and Veterans Program will submit the VA certification through the VA Once System. When the certification is submitted to VA, the Office of Financial Aid will be notified and will calculate tuition/fees to be awarded to the student’s financial aid.

Disclaimer: Each student's award is unique, and financial aid packages will be recalculated according to multiple policies for different sources of funding. Students should consult with Financial Aid directly once their financial aid package has been adjusted.

Frequently Asked Questions 

  • COVID-19 Updates: Pass/Fail & Housing Allowances
  • Reporting Changes in Units
  • How VA Benefits are Affected by Failing or Withdrawing from Courses
  • Parent Letters: Taking Credit Courses Outside of USD