​Event Details

Funding - Non Academic Events

Creating a Budget

Prior to making any financial commitments, you should develop a budget request for your proposed event and have it approved by the Assistant Dean for Law School Finance & Administration (or applicable department head). Identify all revenue sources, including sponsorships and registration fees, and all anticipated expenses. Upon approval of your budget request, you will be authorized to commit university funds using a POETS code.

Contact Event Services for a budget request template and additional guidance.

Reimbursement Policies

The university follows strict policies with respect to reimbursement of expenses. You should clearly communicate these expenditure policies (PDF), before any expenses are incurred, to speakers and other guests for whom you offer to reimburse expenses. Event Services can provide you with a sample communication to external parties highlighting the most commonly applicable reimbursement policies.


Given limited parking availability on campus, you should provide specific parking directions to your guests.

You may submit an online request to reserve parking spaces in the Mission Parking Structure, West Parking Structure or IPJ South Lot for your VIP guests. You may either reserve the spots in your guests' names or reserve a block of spots for your event to be given on a first-come, first-served basis. Instruct your guests to stop at the applicable entry kiosk for a permit or arrange for printable e-permits and email them to your guests in advance of your event.

Guests coming to campus must pay to park in either the Mission or West Parking Structure. Payment is required Monday through Friday between the hours of 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Guests may also pre-purchase daily permits using the online customer portal. Please visit paid parking page or more information about paid parking on campus.

If you expect more than 50 guests at your event, you may submit an online request for a sign at one or both campus entrances directing your guests to the appropriate parking lot.


The University tram schedule is available online. You may also reserve a special event tram (minimum hourly fees apply). If you are expecting a large crowd or your guests will need assistance (for example, walking up the hill to your event venue from the West Parking Structure), a special event tram may be beneficial. You may also reserve trams for transport of guests to off-campus events.

Submit any special event tram requests online.


Public Safety officers and guards are available should you need crowd control or parking lot guards. Minimum hourly fees apply.


If you plan to serve food at your on-campus event, include a catering marker when you reserve the event space. USD Catering is the exclusive caterer for on-campus events. Limited exceptions and complete policies are available. If you plan to serve alcohol at your event, you must use USD Catering.

You should submit a work order to Catering as soon as possible and no later than 10 business days prior to your event. Contact Event Services for a work order template. You must submit a final guest count to Catering no later than three business days prior to the event. Catering will reply to your work order with a contract detailing your order and estimated charges. You must return the signed contract, with a POETS code, to confirm your order. A proactive approach is encouraged, given Catering's work volume.

Catering can also assist you with renting linens, chairs and tables if your venue does not provide these items. Rental fees will be included on your contract and final invoice.


Supplies to consider (some require advance ordering):

  • Foamcore signs with your logo or event details to be placed on easels at event entrances (may be ordered through University Copy)
  • Tablecloth(s) with your logo (for on-stage tables and registration tables).
  • Name badges, tent cards, water for speakers, reserved seating signs and easels.


If your event will be held in the law school, you may contact the law school's technology specialist to have your program recorded. For other venues and for larger events in the law school, contact Instructional Media Services to discuss videotaping and editing services (hourly charges apply).


If your budget allows for professional photography, consult with the Office of Communications for a list of approved photographers.