Taking a Bar Exam in a Jurisdiction other than California

The National Conference of Bar Examiners maintains a website that gives an overview of each state's requirements with a link to each state's bar exam information and application forms.

If you are thinking of taking a bar exam in a jurisdiction other than California, you can begin your research at https://www.ncbex.org/jurisdiction-information

Information on the Uniform Bar Exam is available at http://www.ncbex.org/exams/ube/

When doing your research, be sure to take note of the following information or requirements specific to each jurisdiction:

  • The dates when the bar exam application period opens and closes, and when late fees accrue.
  • Any materials you need to submit along with your application.
  • Any documents you will need for your moral character assessment. These may be quite extensive and it may take you some time to collect them. Be sure to note when and where these documents are to be submitted. Some states allow you to take the bar exam before your moral character application is complete, but you will not be admitted to the bar until your moral character is approved.
  • If you will be asking for accommodations for the bar exam, submit your request and supporting documents early; if your request is denied, you want plenty of time to appeal.

If you need more information or are confused by any requirements, check the state's site for a phone or email contact.