Turnitin is a web-based plagarism detection application that can be used by instructors to check the originality of work by collecting electronicstudent submissions via Blackboard or other means. Turnitin works by checking an uploaded assignment against a large database of other published and written work. Once uploaded, students can check their Originality Report for a detailed summary of possible plagarized words or phrases.
Turnitin assignments are compaged agaisnt several different databases, including:
- 24+ billion Web Pages
- 250+ million archived student papers
- 120+ million articles from 110,000+journal periodicals & books
Turnitin allows you to...
- Let your students know that their work will be assessed for originality
- Easily assess the original content of student papers
- Provide specific feedback to students with results of matching content
We offer Turnitin to all faculty members wishing to use it in their course. Turnitin can be used via a web-based application or as part of our Learning Management System (LMS), Blackboard. A good portion of faculty take advantage of this tool for writing assignments and peer work.
To begin using Turnitin, please contact the iTeam at email@example.com. We recommend using the integration within Blackboard for ease of use but we can also setup accounts to those who are not using Blackboard but wish to use Turnitin.
Turnitin Blackboard Integration
Sign up for Blackboard: Turnitin training or make an scheudle a one-on-one appointment!
USD Live Expert Training offered every week on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Please refer to the Instructor Training tutorials and videos on how to create a course, view uploaded assignments, interpret Originality Reports, and grade papers using GradeMark.
To access a course you are already enrolled in, please refer to the Turnitin class ID and password distributed by the instructor. For detailed information on how to create a username and password or upload an assignment, please refer to Turnitin's Student Training Website.
Responding to Plagarism
- What if I am a returning user?
- if you have used Turnitin for another course, please use your username and password that you have already created. Your current course should be listed amoung your list of courses.
- Can I revise my submission on Turnitin?
- Revision permissions are controlled by the instroctor. Please ask the professor if they have allowed for multiple submmissions on Turnitin.
- Where can I find more tutorials?
- Please contact Turnitin's Help Desk at (866) 816-5046 extention 241, or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org. They are open Monday through Friday 6AM-11PM, and Saturday and Sunday from 2PM-11PM.