(Also known as Email (for Faculty & Staff), Microsoft Exchange)
Exchange is our email service for faculty and staff across campus. It is a sophisticated messaging platform that provides rich and efficient access to email, calendars, contacts, and tasks. Exchange also has an inclusive address book of all users on campus as well as the functionality for shared calendars and schedules. This service integrates with university's Microsoft Active Directory identification and authentication services. Users can check their mail and calendar through Microsoft Outlook, the Outlook Web Access website, or with a compatible device such as a smartphone or tablet.
Staff, Faculty (in very special instances, students are provided Exchange accounts primarily for calendar scheduling purposes.)
Exchange mailbox users get:
(1) 5 GB of mail storage
(2) Virus scanning and email filtering
(3) Authentication with the Windows Infrastructure of the university
(4) Integration with the Directory/Global Address List (GAL)
(5) Integration with cellular smart phones and mobile devices
(6) Calendaring system for all current faculty and staff which allows users to delegate access to calendars
All faculty/staff are automatically given accounts on the Exchange server when their USDOne account is created
Data security restrictions
Use of University of San Diego Exchange email accounts must be used in accordance with USD Policy 2.5.1: Policy on Responsible Use of University Computing Resources: www.sandiego.edu/legal/policies/community/technology/computing.pdf
ITS supports the Exchange Mailbox Service on a 24x7 basis. Support includes setup and management of the Exchange Mailbox servers, mailboxes, Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) and Mirapoint enterprise level spam filtering and antivirus scanning. Supported protocols for accessing Exchange Email mailbox: (1) POPs and IMAPs (2) MAPI (Outlook on campus) (3) Outlook Anywhere (Outlook from off campus) (4) Outlook for off campus (5) OWA and HTTPS and WebDAV. The Outlook Web Application no longer functions on Internet Explorer 6 in Windows XP.
As an employee of the university you are entitled to a free @sandiego.edu account. Exchange email accounts are created automatically for eligible employees when their USDOne account is created.
Exchange Knowledge Base Articles
- In Outlook Web App (OWA), what are the "Premium" and "Light" interfaces?
- Basic/Light version of Outlook Web App loads in Internet Explorer 11
- USD Retirement Policy regarding e-mail and internet access for retired employees
- Setting up a Blackberry to check Exchange
- Connecting an iPhone to Microsoft Exchange
- Requesting an Exchange account for a student employee
- Exchange Email - How to Change Your Password
- How to delete a “suggested contact” in an email client
- How to setup an iPad to Exchange
- How-to forward Exchange email account to another account
- When I email another sandiego.edu address from Exchange, I get an error with a long email address
- How to manage Junk Email on Exchange
- Share and open calendars in Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013
- In OWA, how do I disable or enable conversation view?
- Why can't I attach files to my email in Safari?