Q. How do I make a gift? How do I make a pledge payment?

A. Gifts and pledge payments can be made in one of three ways:

  1. Use a credit card through our secure online giving page.
  2. Use a credit card over the phone by calling (619) 260-4724
  3. Mail a check or money order to Office of Annual Giving, DAC-228, 5998 Alcalá Park, San Diego, CA 92110
Back to top 

Q. Is my online gift secure?

A. The University uses SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) to communicate with your browser software when you register with us online. SSL is the industry standard security protocol, which makes it extremely difficult for anyone else to intercept your personal information you send us in conjunction with your registration.

The University has partnered with CASHNet/Higher One, a leading payment processing company in higher education, to provide secure credit card payment processing. USD requires full compliance with PCI DSS (payment card industry, data security standards) of any vendor or service provider engaged by the university in transacting, processing or otherwise handling cardholder data. CASHNet is independently certified at the highest level of security (Level 1 PCI DSS).

Back to top 

Q. How do I make a gift through Payroll Deduction?

A. Print and complete a Payroll Deduction form and return to the
Office of Annual Giving, Degheri Alumni Center Room 228

Back to top 

Q. Is University of San Diego a certified 501(c)(3) organization?

A. Yes

Back to top 

Q. How do I make a gift of Stock/Mutual Fund?

A. Stock transfers may be initiated by a donor or a donor's broker. After completing the transfer, please inform Steven Heath, whose contact information is shown below. Please use the following instructions for electronic transfer of DTC Eligible Book Entry Issues to the University of San Diego:

Depository Trust Company
The Northern Trust Company
Trust Department
(DTC) Participant No. 2669
Reference: 26-46718 University of San Diego
Reference donor's name

Shares of Mutual Funds may also be transferred, but they require the advance assistance of USD. To effect the transfer of Mutual Fund shares, please send the following information to the attention of Steven Heath, whose contact information is shown below.

Mutual Fund Transfers - additional instructions to provide:
Mutual Fund Name
Ticker or CUSIP
Shares or dollar amount to be transferred
Where the Fund is held: (Broker or direct at Fund company)
Contact name at broker or fund company
Account number at broker or fund company
Name or Donor

Important Note: Please contact the following at USD when initiating a stock transfer:

Steven Heath
USD Finance Office
Phone: (619) 260-7594
Fax: (619) 260-4813

Back to top 

Q. What is USD's Federal Identification Number?

A. 95-2544535

Back to top 

Q. How do I wire a cash gift?

A. Please contact the Office of Annual Giving for specific instructions for wire or ACH transfers. Call (619) 260-4724 or contact us via email at annualgiving@sandiego.edu.

Back to top 

Q. How do I update my contact information if I am a donor or friend of the university?

A. Please e-mail your new address, including your full name, class year, phone number and e-mail, to annualgiving@sandiego.edu.

Back to top 

Q. How do I get a tax receipt for a donation I made to the university?

A. Receipts are mailed to donors as gifts are processed. If you did not receive a receipt, or need a duplicate receipt, please call contact the Office of Advancement Services at (619) 260-4639.

Back to top 

Q. How do I update my contact information if I am an alumnus of the university?

A. Please go to the Alumni Association’s website to complete the online form.

Back to top 

Q. Can I designate my gift for a specific purpose?

A. Yes, you can direct your gift for a specific purpose or to support a college, school or program that is meaningful to you. Your gift can be designated for current use or to build a lasting legacy. You can select from a list of priorities or indicate your preference when completing the online giving form or by calling the Office of Annual Giving at (619) 260-4724. 

Back to top 

Q. What is an endowed fund?

A. An endowed fund is a permanently-invested source of revenue for university operations, scholarships, faculty support or program enhancement. The corpus of the fund is invested and managed according to university policy, and a portion of its annual earnings are distributed for the expressed purposes of the endowed fund.

Back to top 

Q. What is an endowed chair?

A. An endowed chair is a new faculty position fully underwritten by a restricted fund specifically established to help attract and retain professors of extraordinary talent, expertise and distinction. The fund’s principal remains permanently invested and managed by the university; a portion of its total earnings is used each year to support the salary, teaching and research activities, and academic pursuits of the chair holder. 

Back to top 

Q. What is the minimum gift necessary to create an endowed chair?

A. Currently an endowment of $2.5 million is required to establish a chair.

Back to top 

Q. What is an endowed distinguished professorship?

A. An endowed professorship is a distinction typically bestowed upon an existing faculty position. The holder’s salary and academic activities are supplemented by a portion of the annual earnings of the endowment. A distinguished professorship is an honor awarded to a faculty member whose accomplishments and contributions through teaching, research, and related professional activities warrant special recognition.

Back to top 

Q. What is the minimum gift necessary to create an endowed professorship?

A. Currently a minimum of $500,000 is required to establish an endowed professorship.

Back to top 

Q. What is the minimum gift/pledge needed to establish an endowed scholarship?

A. You can contribute any gift amount to a pooled endowment fund. To create a named endowed scholarship a gift of at least $50,000 is required. Please contact the Office of Special Gifts and Scholarships at (619) 260-4510 for additional information.

Back to top 

Q. How do I contact staff professionals?

A. You will find contact information for our institutional advancement professionals in our staff directory.

Back to top

Give now button

Every contribution to USD is viewed as important. Whether it is great or small, donations like yours help build our Torero future.