International Students and the Language Requirement

International students may meet the language requirement in one of four ways: 

  • Take an upper-division class in your native language.
  • Study another language, completing the 201 level in that language.
  • Take the competency exam to clear the 201 requirement.
    View information on the exam and how to register for it.
  • Apply for a waiver of the second-language requirement by presenting an unofficial copy of your high school transcript (available at the One Stop Center, UC 126) to Dr. Ingram, the chair, during office hours (F136) and take a proctored placement exam. To schedule this exam, contact Dr. Rubio-Fernaz, Director of Placement and Competency by e-mail (