Continuing a Language Studied Prior to Coming to USD?

To be cleared to enroll in a language course at USD (or at another institution):

  • Please select the option that best describes your situation:
  • If you are an incoming first-year student, you should take the Placement Exam (even if you already have AP or IB credit in a given language).
  • If you have studied a given language previously, but do not have college-level credit in that language, you need to take the Placement Exam.
  • If you already have college-level credit in the language you want to study, you should be able to enroll directly in the next course in the lower-division sequence (101-202). If you have already taken the fourth-semester course (202), you are ready to start upper-division courses. In this case, contact the department chair or the director of that program for assistance.