Bookmark and Share

Master of Arts in History

Financial Aid

USD offers a number of other scholarships to graduate students. Graduate students may be eligible for the USD Graduate Grant, the Dean’s Graduate Merit Scholarship, or other Graduate Assistance Programs. Entering students will be notified of scholarship awards with their letters of admission.

Please see the Office of Financial Aid scholarship opportunities for complete information.

Federal Financial Aid

History students are also eligible to apply for federal loans. Please be aware that deadlines to apply for federal aid are generally different from application and registration deadlines. More information about federal financial aid can be found at the Office of Financial Aid

How much does it cost to attend USD?

USD charges by the unit. Graduate courses are typically 3-unit courses. For the most current list of costs see: Please note that the MARS program is in the College of Arts and Sciences.

How do I apply for scholarships?

There is no application process for the scholarships given out by the department. All students are automatically considered for departmental awards. Applications for other USD and outside scholarships are handled individually. Please see the Office of Financial Aid scholarship opportunities for more detailed information

How and when do I apply for federal financial aid?

All students interested in federal financial aid must fill out the FAFSA and follow federal guidelines and deadlines. The deadline for new graduate students generally falls in early April. Please see the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

How are graduate student financial aid processes different than undergrad?

Students probably have a different financial aid need in graduate school than they did as an undergraduate. Graduate students are considered independent from their parents, so only the student's income is calculated. Because of this, many graduate students are eligible for opportunities they did not receive as an undergraduate. Filling out the FAFSA is generally one of the first things a new student needs to do to become eligible for financial aid (the graduate deadline is usually the beginning of April). Please see the FAFSA Website (USD Graduate FAFSA school code:  010395).

Does the History program offer graduate research or teaching assistantships?

Not at this time.

Are there other work study opportunities for graduate students?

USD does not have a federal work-study program for graduate students. However, graduate students are eligible for a number of different types of jobs on campus. The department periodically sends out calls for applications to on-campus jobs. Students are also encouraged to visit the Jobs Website for more information.

For more information, please contact:

Office of Financial Aid
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, CA. 92110-2492
(619) 260-2700 or (800) 248-4873