The Alice B. Hayes Science Scholarships/Fellowships
June 2003 marked the grand opening of the Donald P. Shiley Center for Science and Technology, and the retirement of Dr. Alice B. Hayes, President of the University of San Diego. As part of the opening of the Shiley Center, a scholarship fund in honor of Dr. Hayes was therefore established in support of students who display merit and majoring in Biology, Chemistry or Biochemistry, Marine Science, Environmental Studies, or Physics. The scholarship may be applied to semester, summer, or intersession courses at USD, and will not exceed $5000. Additionally, students may choose to use funding from the Hayes Scholarship fund to support summer and academic year research. A committee of faculty members from the four science departments will judge applications.
In order to apply, students must meet the following qualifications:
- Sophomore or Junior level at USD
- Grade point average of 3.25 or higher.
- Be a declared major in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Environmental Studies, Marine Science, or Physics.
Note: Previous Hayes Scholarhsip recipients are ineligible to apply. Those who have applied in the past and did not receive a Hayes Scholarship are eligible to re-apply.
The application will include:
- Student Information Form (available at the link below)
- Student Essay – The essay will be based on the following question: How do your personal and professional goals align with the mission and goals of the University of San Diego? (http://www.sandiego.edu/about/missiongoals/mission.php) This essay may include references to courses (in the Core or in science), research experiences or other relevant experiences.
- COMPLETE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING STEPS:
- To apply Hayes funding to tuition and coursework costs, the student must write a statement justifying the usage of the scholarship funds.
- To apply Hayes funding to support a research project, the student must include a two-page research proposal. You are encouraged to work in collaboration with your research mentor to draft the proposal. The research proposal should include a budget, not to exceed $5,000, which may be applied to travel (conferences or field studies), summer salary, research supplies and summer housing (on campus).
- Three letters of support, including at least one letter from outside the sciences.
Any questions may be addressed to Dr. Tammy Dwyer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications must be submitted via email by November 23, 2015 to: email@example.com. In the subject line, please indicate "Hayes Scholarship Application" and submit the application as an attached PDF file. Letters of support must be submitted directly by the recommender in a similar manner. All applicants will be informed of award decisions in December 2015.