Budget and Finance Information

General Information

  • Fiscal Year begins in July of the current year and ends in June of the following year (i.e. July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018).
  • The Office of the Controller is responsible for all financial record keeping and monitoring of financial activities to ensure sound fiscal control. The controller oversees the Accounting, Accounts Payable, Cashier, Payroll and Student Financial Services operating units. The Office of the Controller supports the Finance Office and reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer.
  • Account postings are normally closed on the first week of each month. An email is sent out by an Accounting representative to inform us that the Accounting Period for such month has closed. You may view an example of the email below:
example email of budget close

Please Note: Fiscal Year-End Memo – the first week beginning the final quarter, the Office of the Controller issues a letter in preparation for the closure of the June 30th fiscal year. It serves as a reminder to plan ahead the timing of purchases, shipments, submission of purchase requisitions & purchases using a U.S. Bank One card, among others. The letter is also a reminder of the deadlines/due dates for submission of invoices, expense reports, payment requests (see link for more info. - http://www.sandiego.edu/finance/accounting/ )

  • POETS Code - Oracle Project Accounting utilizes the POETS coding string.

(example below)

Project                         - MATH00000
Organization             - Mathematics
Expenditure Type     - Supplies
Task                              - 00
Source                         - 10000


A POETS Pointers Reference Guide (in excel format) that lists all possible segment values for the POETS coding string, can be found using this link - http://www.sandiego.edu/finance/accounting/forms/

Accounting; Forms & Guidelines

The most frequently used accounting form is the Journal Entry Request Form. It is used to transfer or correct expenditures already recorded to your project.

Accounts Payable; Forms & Documents

The Office of Accounts Payable is responsible for processing and distributing payments for university business-related services and expenses. On behalf of university college/schools and departments, Accounts Payable:

  • Ensures expenditure compliance with policies/procedures set forth by the university, sponsored projects, the Internal Revenue Service, and the State Board of Equalization
  • Administers university expenditure policies and maximum reimbursable rates
  • Accrues and pays sales/use tax on taxable items
  • Reviews and approves payment requests for travel advances, reimbursements, fellowships, and student refunds
  • Issues invoice payments to vendors/suppliers
  • Processes independent contractor agreements and payments and issues 1099s
  • Processes relocation payments
  • Oversees the USD Corporate Card Program

Forms & Documents - http://www.sandiego.edu/finance/accounts-payable/forms.php

Employee Forms:

Student Forms:

Non-Employee Forms:

Per Diem Information:


Contact Information:

Email: procurement@sandiego.edu

Phone: (619) 260-4782 | Fax: (619) 260-4842


Most merchandise and services bought in the name of the university require an electronic purchase requisition if the amount totals $5,000 or above. There are rare exceptions to the use of a purchase requisition in which case an authorized Payment Request Form may be used. These exceptions, as well as an overview of other purchasing policies, are outlined in the university’s Policy & Procedure manual.

For assistance with determining whether an individual should be paid as an employee or as an independent contractor, please contact the Office of Tax and Compliance at compliance@sandiego.edu or extension 4197.

Purchasing Information

Procurement Services has compiled the below listing of goods and services commonly procured by the campus community. Click on an item for more information on how to proceed with a purchase and any specific instructions.


The following are some helpful links in reference to Stipend information and resources.

Contact Person for the College:

      Catherine Cornell, Budget & Special Projects Manager

Email: cornell@sandiego.edu | Phone# 619-260-4545 | Office: Founders Hall 114D

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Whom should I contact for questions regarding my accounts?

Contact Maria Sanchez, Assistant Controller, (mariasanchez@sandiego.edu, x7410) for questions regarding unrestricted accounts. Contact the Office of the Controller at extension 2302 for questions regarding grant, contract, restricted and endowment accounts and your call will be directed to the appropriate staff member. You can also email accounting@sandiego.edu and your question will be directed appropriately.

  1. Who should I contact for deposit questions?

For current fiscal year gifts and other deposits, please forward requests to change or correct account numbers directly to the Cashier. Correction requests to prior year cash receipts should be submitted in writing along with appropriate documentation to the Office of the Controller. Please note that financial accounting standards prevent us from reallocating any gift without written approval from the donor.

  1. Who should I contact for questions regarding monthly reports?

The answer to this question depends on the issue:

Questions regarding expense transactions (e.g., incorrect amounts or expenses charged to the wrong budget line) should be directed to Maria Sanchez, Assistant Controller (mariasanchez@sandiego.edu, x7410).

Questions regarding your budget or line item budget appropriations should be directed to the Budget Office at budget@sandiego.edu.

  1. How do I obtain my monthly expenditures and available budget figures? 

Financial information for departments, grants, contract, restricted gifts and endowments is obtained directly from the Oracle application, on a real-time basis through NOETIX. See the Oracle Training web page for further information.

Noetix Financial Reporting - The Noetix financial system is a reporting tool providing alternative views of Oracle financial data. This course teaches the basic navigation techniques used in identifying, creating, and exporting Noetix reports into Microsoft Excel. Persons with budget oversight responsibilities should enroll.

  1. How can I transfer expenses for goods and services from my project to another project?

An expense transfer for goods and services or a correction to expenses already processed may be handled by completing the Journal Entry Request Form (Excel).