Technology and Programs

Concurrent with the launch of the new mobile-friendly CAS website in 2016, the college switched to Cascade - a new online software tool for departmental level website maintenance.  All EAs must complete training with the ITS Web Team before maintainer access is granted to a departmental website.

Web Marketing

The departments of the College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) may access online marketing resources at the website for University Publications.  Assistance and resources are also available from the CAS Marketing Manager, Leslie Spring, as well as from the Office of Public Affairs.

For detailed references, please see the USD Brand Standards & Guidelines, prepared by and available from University Publications, and the College of Arts & Sciences Marketing Resources Guide prepared by, and available from, Leslie Spring.  New EAs should contact Leslie Spring to request a copy of the guide and to discuss their department’s website and other online presence.

  • Marketing and Communications Director
    • Katherine Payne
      • (619) 260-7446

MyPostings (Website news, events, etc.)

Executive Assistants post news items and event information to departmental websites using the “mypostings” online application with the online program “Cascade”.  College-wide and Departmental broadcast emails created through Cascade now utilize the mypostings entries previously submitted to auto-generate news and events items, so it is important that Executive Assistants utilize mypostings to record departmental news and events.

Click the following link to begin posting through mypostings:

Faculty Directory/Bio Updates

Faculty biography pages (found under the Faculty and Staff tab in departmental web pages) are accessed via the CAS Directory Management online tool.  Faculty bio information may be completed by the EA in the available fields, and the individual bio pages may be selected to be viewable or not online.  Each EA will have access to edit the bio pages of faculty and staff assigned to their department by Human Resources.  EAs will no longer use the Directory Management tool to post faculty office hours online or update employee record information, including the department assignment and position information for individual faculty/staff.  Since Spring 2016, faculty now input their own office hours information online via their Teach/Advise dashboard in their portal.  Since Fall 2017, changes to office location and extension information must be submitted to Telecom through the Directory Management tool, and changes to employee record information must be made by request to Human Resources (

Use the following link for the Directory Management:

Departmental Website & Mass Emails/Cascade & Salesforce

With the 2017-18 academic year, a new mass email generation tool & templates have been added to Cascade to better facilitate the creation of mass emails in keeping with the university’s visual identity and design standards.  Emails with specific message content, and/or the automatic inclusion of upcoming news & events items from mypostings, may now be created in Cascade using established templates.  EAs may now also work directly with the CAS Marketing and Communications Director to create distribution lists for email deployment using the online program, “Salesforce.”  Salesforce enables the creation of current and accurate distribution lists of majors and minors, faculty, staff, and other coded categories for email deployment.  EAs may also create and add listservs of outside recipients using Microsoft Excel to include auxiliary distribution lists along with Salesforce email deployment. 

ITS’ Web Team has created an online user guide for Cascade that is very useful for reviewing and looking up specific tasks.  For Cascade support from the ITS Web Team, or any questions related to the university and departmental websites, there is an online form separate from the ITS Help Desk:

ITS/Telecom: Tickets & Support Information

Information Technology Services (Help Desk) supports USD as the umbrella support hub for all technology services.  Technical support for all university owned computers, network related services, telecom related services, and Campus Card Services may all be accessed via the Help DeskITS also provides quotes and purchasing assistance for new software and computer technology, manages the technology replacement program, some university pre-licensed software, and trainings on software used by USD faculty/staff and the general academic community. 

For routine (non-urgent) computer support questions, telecom repair or services requests, and submissions of identification information and approvals for access to doors with Onity locks, the EA should email the Help Desk with a detailed message outlining the request. 

Hours: Monday to Thursday: 8 a.m - 7 p.m., Friday: 8 a.m - 6 p.m.
Location: UC 117
Extension: x7900

For the purchase of new computers, printers, and the purchase of other technology-related peripherals, ITS must be consulted.  Computers and most peripherals that will be purchased/supported by the university must be obtained through ITS.  If your department plans to make a new technology purchase, please contact either the ITS Budget & Operations Manager or the ITS Inventory Manager/Budget Coordinator for assistance with quotes and any necessary additional information.

ITS Purchasing/Budget Contact:

Budget & Operations Manager

Inventory Manager/Budget Coordinator

Faculty and Staff eligible for a replacement, after three years with their current computer, will receive an email from ITS ( indicating they are now eligible to order a new one.  The email will include a link to an ITS online form where you may select your hardware preference and indicate any required extra hardware or software (subject to departmental budget charges).  The faculty or staff member’s direct supervisor will be required to approve the request electronically before it is fulfilled. 

Please Note:

Beginning with the 2017-18 fiscal year, ITS will only cover the cost of a PC for replacement computers for staff and non-tenure track faculty who cannot demonstrate a business purpose for a Mac.  Departments must provide a POETS code for the additional expense between the cost of a Mac and a PC if the individual cannot demonstrate a business purpose in justification.  If you have questions about a replacement computer, additional technology needs, or other related questions, please directly contact the ITS Inventory Manager/Budget Coordinator.

Media Services

Instructional Media Services (IMS) a subdivision of ITS, provides services to USD faculty, staff, and students for academic use and acquires, circulates, installs, manages and maintains display, recording, and playback equipment. The IMS staff also provides videotaping, scanning, large format color printing, video conversion services, Final Cut Express video editing and related multimedia production services.

Executive Assistants will most frequently contact IMS to request technical assistance for faculty experiencing issues with classroom ‘smart’ technology (excepting computers), A/V equipment checkout, large format color printing, and multimedia production and conversion services. 

For urgent faculty issues with the classroom ‘smart’ technology (not including the instructor’s computer), it is best to report to IMS by telephone.

Hours: Monday to Thursday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m., Friday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Location: Maher 176, The Media Center
Extension: x4567


Complaints Against Faculty – Routing Process

Student complaints against faculty regarding academic matters, in general, should begin (and ideally end) with the student attempting to discuss the matter directly with the faculty member.  If the student has unaddressed concerns after communicating with the faculty member, or feels unable to address the issue(s) directly with the faculty member, they should next communicate with the Department Chair of the same department as the faculty member.  If the student still has unaddressed concerns after speaking with the Department Chair, he/she should follow up by requesting at the Dean’s Office to speak with an Assistant or Associate Dean.
Please Note: If the student complaint in any way pertains to sexual harassment or discrimination, the EA should inform the student that they may be required to report any incident or sexual misconduct or relationship violence to USD authorities per the university policy.  A student who wishes to report an incident and/or misconduct should be informed that they have options to speak with someone confidentially at the Counseling Center, the University Ministry, and/or they may speak with the Title IX Coordinator, a USD CARE Advocate, or someone from the Department of Public Safety.
Director of Title IX and Equal Employment Opportunity
Programs Department of Human Resources

Maher Hall 101, (619) 260-4594


Declaring Majors/Minors & Changing Advisors


Students wishing to declare a major and/or minor will complete a Declaration of Major form and submit it at the departmental office that pertains to their declaration.  The EA will accept the declaration form, check to make sure it has been completed correctly, obtain the approval signature of the Department Chair, and make sure a new major advisor is assigned to the student for new major declarations. 
Please Note: Depts. differ as to whether new advisors are assigned by the EA or the Dept. Chair.  Please consult your Department Chair for more information if the EA in your department assigns faculty advisors.   
If the student is a double-major, they will need to complete this process for both major departments.  Completed declaration forms will have all the relevant sections completed by the student, as well as the signature of the Dept. Chair and the new faculty advisor, and may be either returned to the student for submission to the One Stop Center or submitted by the EA to the Registrar’s office or the One Stop Center.



Disability Services & Wellness


All Executive Assistants should have a copy at their desk of the Helping Students in Distress folder prepared by the Center for Health and Wellness Promotion.  This folder (linked above) contains all the relevant contact information and FAQ related to students in crisis.  The Center for Health and Wellness Promotion has also posted several other faculty/staff resources, that EAs should review and refer to as needed.