Contests/Awards and Workshops
Cropper Undergraduate Creative Writing Contest in Poetry, Fiction, and Nonfiction
The University of San Diego awards three prizes each year in honor of Lindsay J. Cropper. The $125 cash prizes recognize undergraduate achievement in the genres of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction. Submissions will be accepted in the Spring semester.
The Cropper Undergraduate Contest in Creative Writing for 2014-2015 has concluded. Winners were announced at the Creative Writing Emphasis Student Reading held on May 7, 2015. Prizes were awarded for entries in Poetry, Fiction, and Nonfiction.
The contest submission process is online and linked to the brand-new USD literary journal, the Alcala Review (whose web site is now live)! Guidelines for 2015-2016's contest will be announced Fall 2015. To check out the Alcala Review, please go to: http://digital.sandiego.edu/alcalareview/. "Contest Submission Guidelines" are listed in the left-hand column, along with eligibility requirements -- make sure that you understand the contest terms and conditions (winners' and one runner's-up work in each category will be published in the inaugural issue of the Alcala Review Fall of 2015! Submissions cannot be previously published in any form (print or online)). After reading the guidelines, click on "Submit Contest Entry." You'll need to create an account and go through the steps to upload your work.
For more information please contact Dr. Halina Duraj at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619-260-7429, Dr. Malachi Black at email@example.com or 619-260-4696, or Prof. Brad Melekian at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619-260-7856.
- Poetry Co-Winners: Gabriella Sghia-Hughes & Lucia T. Pasquale
- Fiction Winner: Joie Coxon
- Nonfiction Winner: Megan Huynh
- Fiction Runner-up: Dylan Macdonald
- Nonfiction Runner-up: Matthew Hose
The winners will have their entries published in the inaugrual issue of the Alcala Review in Fall 2015.
- Poetry Winner: Amber McMains. Poetry pieces by Amber McMains
- Prose Winner: Emma Uriarte. Prose piece by Emma Uriarte
- Poetry Runner-Up: Vincent Cabral. Poetry pieces by Vincent Cabral
- Prose Runner-Up: Breana Burgos. Prose piece by Breana Burgos
- Winner, Short-Story genre: Kyle DeNuccio
- Link to poems by Eloisa Amezcua
- Nick Walker, fiction winner
- Link to poems by Adam Love
There are currently no workshops offered. Please check back periodically.