USD Report

Reporting Options

Depending on their roles at USD, staff and faculty have varying reporting responsibilities and abilities to maintain confidentiality. In order to make informed choices, you should be aware of confidentiality and mandatory reporting requirements when consulting campus resources. The university is committed to protecting the privacy of all individuals involved in a report of Sexual Misconduct or Relationship Violence. In any report made, the privacy interests of those involved will be protected in a manner consistent with the need to respond to and to conduct a thorough review of the incident reported. Information will be shared only with those individuals who have a legitimate need to know the information in order to assist in the response to, investigation and/or resolution of the complaint.

Confidentiality, on the other hand, is not the same as privacy. Confidentiality means that the information shared with a certain university employee or outside professional cannot be disclosed to others without the express permission of the individual who shared the information. Confidential resources can be found on the Resources page.

Anonymous Reporting Options

Are you interested in reporting information to USD without disclosing your name or identities of other parties involved?

Anonymous Report through the Department of Public Safety

You may report incidents or information anonymously at the Department of Public Safety website through the Anonymous Reporting form. The Anonymous Report form is also designed to provide the DPS with crime tips, along with reports in which complete anonymity is desired. Depending on the information you provide, action by the university may be limited.

Third Party Anonymous Report

You may report your concerns through the university’s Incident Reporting Helpline. The Incident Reporting Helpline can be reached toll free at (1-855-799-8305) or by submitting an online report.  

The Incident Reporting Helpline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To ensure caller confidentiality and anonymity, the service is administered by an independent third party, Ethics Point.


Private Reporting Options

Are you interested in filing a report with USD or speaking with someone who can provide support, safety and accommodations?

CARE Advocate

619-260-2222 (24 hours)

You can reach a CARE Advocate at any time, 24 hours a day/7 days a week, through the Department of Public Safety's Dispatch Office. When you call, you should ask specifically to speak with a CARE Advocate and you may do so without providing any information other than your contact information so that a CARE Advocate can contact you.

CARE Advocates are specially trained and can help answer questions about the multiple processes involved in reporting, facilitate appropriate referrals to resources for USD students who have been impacted by sexual assault, harassment, and/or partner violence and are available to accompany students to Public Safety, and/or an interview with Law Enforcement. Specific CARE Advocates can be reached directly during their regular business hours.

Title IX Coordinator

Maher Hall 101

Responsible for coordinating USD’s compliance with Title IX which prohibits sex discrimination, including sexual or relationship violence. The Title IX Coordinator is available to meet with students or others as needed to provide information about options for complaint resolution, to facilitate an effective response to a complaint, and to address the way in which USD responds to incidents of alleged sexual misconduct and relationship violence.

Department of Public Safety

Non-Emergency: 619-260-7777 (24 hours a day/7 days a week)
Emergency: 619-260-2222 (24 hours a day/7 days a week)
Hughes Administration Building 151

Public Safety can provide resources to help you feel safer on campus, including connecting you to a CARE Advocate or a confidential counselor after hours.

  • What should I expect if I disclose an incident of sexual harassment, sexual violence, relationship violence, or stalking to an employee or resident assistant at USD?
  • What should I expect if I file a complaint of discrimination or harassment against an employee?
  • Will someone from the university contact me?
  • Will I get in trouble if alcohol or other drugs were involved?
  • My guardians have questions. Who can they speak with?
  • What kind of accommodations, safety, and interim measures can USD provide me?
  • What should I expect if I participate in an investigation involving another USD student?
  • Will I be required to participate in an investigation even if I don't want to?
  • What if I change my mind about participating in an investigation?
  • What is an example of a USD no-contact order?
  • What can the Title IX Coordinator do for me?
  • What can Public Safety do for me?
  • What responsibility do faculty and staff have in reporting an incident of sexual assault or relationship violence?