Campus Recreation often has part-time jobs available. Check this page frequently to see the latest updates.
Background Check Process
Please note that all offers of employment (both student employees and non-student employees) are contingent upon completing and passing a required background check. The offer of employment may be discontinued at any time if the background check conditions are not met
Available Part Time Positions
Recreation Fitness Class Instructors (Fall 2014)
Instruct recreation and/or fitness classes in the Campus Recreation department. For for-credit classes: Develop class syllabus and lesson plans for the credit classes; record and submit student attendance, mid-term and final grades. For drop-in Group Ex as well as Credit classes: Maintain a safe and healthy instructional environment; ability to effectively communicate, demonstrate and instruct the skills required of the listed course.
- Past teaching experience in the related field you are applying for
- Fitness instruction certification (if applicable to the class you are applying for)
- Current CPR/First Aid/AED certifications
- Personal fitness level necessary for teaching the assigned course
Pay is set at $20/hour. Dates of employment are ASAP though 05/13/14 unless otherwise indicated.
Classes available. Fall 2014:
We do not hold resumes for future positions.
To apply, please send your resume along with three references to email@example.com.
Summer Lifeguard & Youth Swim Instructor
Swim Lesson Instructor & Lifeguard Description: Teach swimming lessons to youth ages 18mos - 16 years of age. Follow the American Red Cross swim lesson program. Teach the following levels of the ARC program; Parent – Tot (18mos – 3 yrs); Pre-K levels 1-2 (3-4 yrs); and Learn to Swim levels 1 – 6 (5-16 yrs). Class size varies from 3 to 12 students per instructor. Class length is 30-minutes with 15-minutes
between classes. Instructors are required to teach from in the water for parent-tot, Pre-K classes and levels 1-2 of the American Red Cross series. Some life guarding responsibilities during classes also required.
All instructors are required to guard including; Supervise pool deck area and lifeguard 25 yard x 40 yard college swimming pool; Responsible for safety of pool patrons; Enforce pool usage policies during open swim and during reserved usage time; Manage/Supervise large group events in the pool area; and Secure facility during non-usage time.
Instructor and Guard Qualifications:
- Lifeguard and WSI (or equivalent) current certification (this should include a current CPR/First Aid/AED certification) *Note: all applicants must be BOTH LG certified and WSI (or equivalent) certified in order to apply.
- Acceptable past swim lesson instruction experience (with children)
- Proactive as well as reactive life guarding skills.
- Knowledge of emergency procedures for swimming pools.
- Ability to communicate, instruct, and supervise children in the lesson program and all patrons in the surrounding pool area
- Ability to make prudent decisions, work effectively with fellow staff members and evaluate as well as correct safety issues that may affect the health/safety of students
- Friendly, outgoing, team player, caring, responsible, reliable and able to work without direct supervision
Ability to commit to the entire duration of the summer schedule (8-weeks). Summer lessons start 6/16/14 and the position will end 8/10/14.
- Ability to commit to training/orientation on varied days between June 9-15th, 2014 between the hours of 9am-5pm.
Hours vary between 4 to 8 hours a day, 5 days a week between 9:30am – 7:15pm, Monday - Sunday. Hours depend on the success of the program and class scheduling. We will cancel classes with low enrollment.
All shifts will be split between guarding and teaching. All staff is required to work some weekend shift between 9:45am-6:15pm.
Employment Dates: June 9 - Aug 10, 2014 (must be available to work the entire duration of the 8-week summer Monday - Thursady including at least one wekend day, but can have varied weekends off with pre-approval)
Application Procedure: Please send your resume along with three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Intramural Sports Officials
USD IM Sports is hiring sports officials for the Fall 2014 Intramural season. We have openings in football, soccer, volleyball, softball, and basketball. No officiating experience is necessary, but knowledge of the sport is required. Paid training provided.
To apply, send your resume to email@example.com. Call 619-260-4275 for more information.
USD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.