Advice for Travelers

We urge those considering travel to high-risk areas to be aware of local conditions and take appropriate precautions.

Pre-Approval required for travel to countries where Ebola has been transmitted

USD is requiring pre-approval for any university sanctioned or sponsored travel to Guinea, Liberia, Mali and Sierra Leone.; Approval must be received from Dr. Denise Dimon, Associate Provost for International Affairs at

  • Personal Travel: If you are taking personal travel to any of these areas you are urged to inform the Student Health Center of your potential travel plans so that they can provide support, updated information, and important details about returning campus after your travel. Please contact Dr. Julianne North at
  • University Business Travel: All faculty, administration and staff are required to register all individual international travel done on behalf of university business, such as attending a conference, sabbatical activities, meetings, recruitment, research, consulting, etc. The registration can be found on the portal, under the employee tab, or on the International Center website.
  • Guidance: USD recommends following the CDC Ebola-related guidance for travel to the West Africa region.
  • Insurance: USD has arranged for employees and students traveling on official university business to be covered for a wide variety of accidents and incidents while away from the campus or primary workplace. See the USD traveler's insurance page for details.
  • Upon returning from travel to an Ebola outbreak area: USD recommends travelers should monitor their health for 21 days as recommended by the CDC. New policies recently implemented by the CDC require travelers arriving from Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea be monitored by local public health departments for 21 days after arrival in the U.S. If a person has travelled to an affected country and develops a fever within three weeks of their return (the virus' maximum incubation period), he or she should quarantine himself and notify the local public health department by phone immediately, or call his or her healthcare provider and/or USD's Student Health Center and share their travel history and current symptoms.