Transferring from Out-of-State

If you have already completed high school or received a GED and have enrolled in college classes, you should apply as a transfer student.

Admission Eligibility

To apply, you are required to be in good standing at your current or most recent institution and are expected to have completed a minimum of 24 semester (36 quarter) units of transferable coursework while maintaining at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA). Please note: students currently in progress toward completing the 24 semester (36 quarter) unit count are expected to satisfy the minimum unit count by the completion of their current term.

Admission preference will be given to applicants who have far exceeded the minimum unit and GPA requirements, while also having achieved competitive grades in both English Composition & Literature and College Algebra.

Please note that Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) credits will not count toward the minimum unit requirement. If you previously applied to USD as a first-year candidate and were denied admission, we encourage you to complete one full year of college classes elsewhere before reapplying as a transfer student.

How to Apply

The following credentials must be submitted for your application to be reviewed:

After Applying

In order to facilitate your admission decision, a Transfer Mid-Term Report (PDF) must be submitted so that we may review your grades for the term in progress. Please obtain your grade as well as the signature from each of your professors and submit the completed form to us. Spring applicants should submit their Mid-Term Report no earlier than the third week of November while Fall applicants should submit the Mid-Term Report no earlier than the third week of March.

If attending a 4-year institution, the Transfer College Report should be filled out and sent to us directly by the registrar’s office at your current institution or the academic dean of the college that houses your major. If attending a 2-year institution, the Transfer College Report should be filled out and sent to us directly by your community college’s admissions and records office.

Transferring College Credits

After being admitted to USD and submitting your enrollment confirmation form, a transfer credit analysis will determine which of your credits are transferable.

  • General education classes from accredited institutions are generally transferable with a grade of C- or better.
  • Classes from non-accredited institutions or trade schools will not transfer to USD.

All transferable coursework will count toward unit credits only and will not be calculated into your USD GPA. Unfortunately, transfer credit analyses are only conducted after you have confirmed your enrollment to USD.

Selecting coursework at your current institution

When registering for classes at your college or university, we strongly recommend that you reference our Transfer Information Form, making sure to pay special attention to the Core Curriculum requirements outlined on the second page. Students attending other 4 year schools are encouraged to reach out to our Senior Transfer Admission Counselor, Andrew Alsoraimi-Espiritu with assistance with course selection. Please note that assistance with course selection is strictly conducted for admission purposes only. An official transfer analysis will be done after you have submitted your enrollment confirmation form.

Transfer Credit Process for Admitted Students

Prior to the start of your first term, students who are transferring should send any official transcripts to the Undergraduate Admissions Office. These transcripts will then be sent to the Transfer Analyst in the Registrar’s Office to evaluate coursework.

The Petition for Pre-USD Transfer Course Credit Form is used to request an additional evaluation of a course you completed at another university before you began taking courses at USD that you are currently receiving elective credit for to see if it may fulfill a core curriculum, major or minor requirement. Refer to the Companion Guide for more information about how to decide which courses to submit a petition for, as well as instructions for completing the form in consultation with your academic advisor.

Please note: Recent revisions to USD's Core Curriculum have impacted the way in which general education classes transfer into USD. Learning outcomes are a significant point of consideration used by the Core Curriculum Committee when determining whether or not classes taken at other institutions meet core curriculum criteria. As a result, classes that bear a title similar to USD classes but differ in learning outcomes may not satisfy core requirements for graduation (though they may transfer into USD for elective credit). This may impact the length of time you will need to study at USD in order to satisfy the Core Curriculum as well as the requirements for your degree(s).

Should you have any questions, you may contact our Senior Transfer Admission Counselor, Andrew Alsoraimi-Espiritu. Please note that appointments are limited and are not required for admission. Transfer advising appointments must be scheduled in advance by calling the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (619) 260-4506 or (800) 248-4873.