Undergraduate Admissions

Apply Now buttonCheck Your Status button

Information for Transfer Applicants

Section Banner

Transfer Admission Appointments
Appointments are not required as part of the application process.
Please refer to the Transfer Information Form (PDF) for details. Should you have questions that are not addressed here, please email them to our Transfer Admissions Counselor. Students who will apply for the upcoming semester or later, may call for an appointment for advising purposes. Transfer admissions appointments must be scheduled in advance. Please call Undergraduate Admissions at 619-260-4506 or 800-248-4873 to schedule an individual transfer appointment.

Transfer Students Majoring in Business Administration
Students interested in business should be aware that the School of Business Administration (SBA) has specific requirements concerning professional development. These requirements are administered through the school’s Professional Development Passport Program.

Completion of the Professional Development Passport is a requirement for the Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Accountancy and Bachelor of Arts in Economics degrees.

All passport activities must be completed by all business majors regardless of when the student declares their major. For more information about the Passport Program and the requirements of the SBA, please visit the SBA Undergraduate Advising Center Web site.

Transfer Credit Policy
Transfer applicants are required to be in good standing at their current or most recent institution. Applicants who applied to USD as first-year candidates and who were denied admission cannot reapply as a transfer student until one full year of college work is completed even if the prospective applicant has 24 semester (36 quarter) transferable units after one semester. Those applicants who possess well above 24 semester (36 quarter) units, a 3.0 cumulative GPA and competitive grades in English Composition & Literature, and College Algebra will have preference for admissions.

Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) credits will not count towards the required 24 semester unit (36 quarter unit) minimum.

Once you are admitted and submitted your enrollment confirmation form, the Academic Dean will determine which credit is transferable.

Courses from accredited institutions are generally transferable if the grades are C- or better. Courses from non-accredited institutions or trade schools do not transfer. The transfer of online courses is left to the discretion of the corresponding academic department at USD. All courses transferred to USD are transferred for unit credit only and are not calculated into the GPA.

Articulation Agreements are available for all San Diego community colleges and a few colleges outside of San Diego County.

In depth information on both our curriculum and general education requirements can be found in the Undergraduate Bulletin (Course Catalog).

There is no maximum number of units transferable but students must earn a minimum of the final 30 semester units at USD. Transfer applicants are required to be in good standing at their current or most recent institution. We require transcripts of all work attempted. Individual official transcripts must be obtained from each college/university attended. Students need to submit a final high school transcript but it is not used in determining admission to the University.

In order to facilitate your admission decision, mid-term grades will be required for the term in progress. Please refer to the Grade Progress Report Form (PDF).

Advanced Standing
Students reach sophomore standing after satisfactory completion of 30 units. Junior status and upper division standing are reached upon completion of 60 units. For senior class standing, 90 units must be completed.

Faculty Advisor Program
All students are assigned an academic advisor even if they have not decided upon a major. After receiving transfer evaluations students will meet with an advisor to register for classes. This typically takes place during mid-summer.

Transfer Housing Information & Requirement

Interested in learning more about transfer housing? Click on the above link to learn more about the different housing options. Residential life plays a vital role in the USD experience, so we require that students live on campus for their first and second years. On-campus living will heighten your educational experience as a transfer student by providing more transitional support, access to professional staff in your residential area and assistance with campus resource connectedness. As a transfer student, you will be required to live on campus for at least one year if by the contract start date you:

  • are under the age of 20 (and)
  • have completed fewer than 60 transferred units (and)
  • have not completed 4 semesters of coursework as a full-time student

All contracts are for the full academic year, which consists of both fall and spring semesters, or if entered into after the beginning of the academic year, for the remainder of that academic year. All unmarried new transfer students with credits defining them as either a first year or second year student who are under 20 years of age at the initial start date of their first campus housing agreement period of occupancy at the University of San Diego and who do not commute from the permanent (i.e. primary and not a secondary) San Diego County home of their parent(s) or court appointed legal guardian are required to live in University housing. A resident who becomes 20 years of age following the resident’s initial matriculation to the University will still be subject to fulfilling the freshman and sophomore residency requirements.