Summer Wellness Services for Returning:
Those returning students involved in University-sanctioned or sponsored summer activities (athletics, summer courses, internships, research, summer housing, etc.) will have access to services at the Wellness Units (Center for Health and Wellness Promotion, Counseling Center, Disability Services and Student Health Center) over the summer.
Returning students not enrolled in university-sanctioned or sponsored activities during the summer, but who are otherwise registered to attend classes in the fall of the upcoming academic year can contact any of the Wellness Units if in need of guidance or referrals to the community.
Returning Students Enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan:
Students who are currently enrolled in student health insurance plan and are covered through this academic year, can seek a referral from a clinician in the Student Health Center if they are in need of access to providers in the community and want to have their deductibles waived. For summer hours of operation please visit www.sandiego.edu/healthcenter.
Returning students who are currently enrolled in USD’s plan and are planning to renew their health insurance for the next academic year, need to submit their decision form to enroll as soon as possible to ensure no lapse in coverage.
Congratulations! As you complete your studies here at USD, have you thought much about health insurance?
After graduation, you are no longer eligible to receive health and wellness services from the Wellness Units on campus, including referrals for waiving the student health insurance plan deductible.
Health care benefits for the uninsured can cause financial hardships. Protect yourself and your family with affordable short-term plans. Below are options available to both graduating students currently covered under the University plan and those covered through different insurance.
- If you are currently enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan, you will be covered under the plan through August 14, 2015.
Below are coverage options that are available after you graduate:
- For those under the age of 26, you may qualify to enroll as a dependent on the health insurance held by a parent.
- For those currently enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan, losing coverage when the plan expires qualifies you for a Special Enrollment Period; you need to apply with-in 30 days.
- To prove loss of student health insurance plan coverage with a printable PDF letter, visit www.gallagherstudent.com/USD, log in to your account and choose the “Verification Letter” link from the My Account screen.
- For those with limited income or other reasons, you may qualify through Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program
- PREMIUM: While many plans offer “cheaper” premiums, look at the deductibles, copays, and coinsurance as lower premiums frequently result in higher out-of-pocket costs and limited networks. Before making your decision, consider your entire potential out-of-pocket cost to determine the best value for your individual needs.
- NETWORK: Does the network for the Plan extend to your region? Are the doctors you already see considered in-network?
- DEDUCTIBLE (the amount you must pay before insurance coverage begins): Is this an amount you are prepared to pay before coverage can be accessed?
- COINSURANCE (the amount insurance pays after the deductible is met): Be aware of this coverage as you are responsible for the amount after coinsurance is applied. So if your plan has 70% coinsurance, you would be responsible for the remaining 30%.
- COPAYS: What is your copay for a doctor’s office visit? Specialist visit? ER Visit? Prescription Medications?
- For questions about the health insurance plan contact Gallagher Student Health and Special Risk toll free at 877-241-4649 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions regarding log-in issues or your account, contact USD Student Accounts at email@example.com.
- For questions about Financial Aid, contact the USD Office of Financial Aid at 619-260-2700.
- For additional information and questions, visit www.sandiego.edu/healthinsurance or contact USD Student Wellness at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We wish you the best as you complete your studies and congratulations!