The available templates
If you are using Dreamweaver or Contribute, you should get these templates automatically. If not, you can get the templates as a zip file. Please note that these files are linked so as to show you what they will look like. Only get them by way of the zip file or within Dreamweaver/Contribute. Otherwise, you will lose all of the dynamic server-side code in these pages, as the server strips it out when it displays the files for you.
- a template for the main page of your site
- a template for your subpages--all page except your main page
- two full_content templates
- for pages that need a wider content area and do not need left navigation link
- generally used for any top-level site that does not need any breadcrumb trail
- a much simpler template that includes very little PHP code and only the top menu bar, suitable for deep pages which have been converted from other formats, such as word processing documents.
Using the templates
What is PHP?
PHP is a programming language for creating dynamic web pages. You do not need to know PHP to edit these templates, but you will need to leave the PHP code alone: the PHP code inside these templates is part of what makes our new templates work.
Some web editors do not work well with PHP. For example, Netscape Composer currently throws out any PHP code in web pages it edits, so you will not be able to use Netscape Composer with these templates.