Committed to the mission and core values of the University of San Diego; the vision of campus
ministry articulated by the US Catholic Bishops in Empowered by the Spirit; and the living tradition of
Catholic Social Thought.
Inspired by the Gospel, especially the teaching, preaching, and healing of Jesus; the interfaith and
ecumenical orientation articulated by the Second Vatican Council; the vision of our founders,
Bishop Charles Francis Buddy and Mother Rosalie Hill, R.S.C.J.; and the example of solidarity with
the sick and the poor modeled by our patron, St. Didacus.
Dedicated to embodying the rich tradition of Catholic higher education by forming the USD
community to be responsive to God’s Spirit; cultivating an inclusive campus community where all
are encouraged to integrate faith and reason; accompanying students as they discern their vocation
and are inspired to seek the fullest human potential for themselves and others in our globalized
In order to accomplish this mission, we offer:
- Regular liturgical celebrations during which we experience the presence of God in the
Eucharist, in the person of the presider, in the Word of God and in the people assembled.
- Other Sacramental gatherings during which the university community is inspired by the
presence of God to serve with compassion and joy, create peace, and promote the common
- Faith formation programs that strive to share the wisdom of the Catholic Tradition and
which are designed to help students develop a mature faith, characterized by a commitment
to both prayer and action, which engages the modern world.
- Service and immersion opportunities intentionally structured to foster students’ experience
and practice of solidarity.
- A robust retreat program which facilitates students’ spiritual growth, self-awareness and
appropriation of their faith.
- Leadership development opportunities through which students are formed and prepared to
serve the Church and world.
- Regularly scheduled faith sharing groups during which students are invited and encouraged
to reflect deeply on their lives in light of Scripture and other sacred texts and to consider
ways of living which align with their faith.
- Educational and service initiatives designed to foster a wider and deeper appreciation for the
inherent dignity of all life as well as a growing commitment to a consistent ethic of life.
- Spiritual companioning and counseling during which we offer wisdom from the Catholic and
other faith traditions and encourage students in the process of becoming the people they
were created to be.
- Accompaniment in daily life, helping undergraduate and graduate students, staff, faculty,
administrators and alumni recognize God’s movements in their lives.