Wednesday, February 1, 2006, 2:30-3:30, UC-103
Stephen Conroy, Sr. Gina Rodee (leads), Maria Pilar Aquino, Diane Callahan, Cheryl Clark, Larry Gardepie, Lupita Jewell, Sharon McGuire, Mike McIntyre, Pamela Gray Payton, Teresa O’Rourke, Linda Peterson, Nina Sciuto, Greg Zackowski
Agenda or Key Discussion Items:
- Debrief on January workshop
- Discussion on Catholic Social Thought, Teaching or Tradition
- CST website discussion
- Subcommittee updates and next actions
- Debrief on January workshop — Larry, Sr. Gina
- Discussion on Catholic Social Thought or Teaching:
- Pilar presented Dr. Kenneth Himes' handout and a revised CST statement (dated 2/1/06), and suggested that the CST initiative should be connected with USD's mission; CST seen as "thought-in-action."
- Amendments were suggested and approved. The Committee accepted:
- Catholic Social Thought document — with final editing as discussed;
- Short CST statement — with seven principles abbreviated;
- Clarification of Terms — with editorial revisions as needed;
- Dr. Himes statement — approved as a web resource.
- Action: Pilar will make revisions discussed and will e-mail updated documents to Sr. Gina.
- CST website discussion: Pam and Diane led the discussion on the proposed CST website.
- Action: Pam, Diane and Sr. Gina will meet to review statements and resources; Diane will work on a website prototype; prototype will be available for next meeting (February 15).
- Subcommittee updates and next actions:
- Off-Campus Survey: Greg gave an update on survey responses (18 institutions accessed survey; 12 institutions have completed survey). Greg has set 30 responses as a goal. Action: Larry will e-mail preliminary survey results to Greg and Lupita by Friday (2/3); Greg and Lupita will identify institutions that have not responded and will send out a follow-up e-mail.
- Campus Conversations: Sr. Gina and Cheryl have scheduled biweekly meetings with the subcommittee to create a draft plan for upcoming year(s): e.g., themes, possible speakers, how to connect with other campus groups. They meet on the following Wednesdays: February 8, 22; March 8, 29.
- On-Campus Survey: Teresa explained that the divisional surveys are ready to go — have been waiting for the CST statements and website (according to original timeline); CST committee members will be listed in the e-mail message as resources (e.g., to answer questions) for their divisions. Comments were made on whether or not it was necessary to wait sending out the survey — depends on when the prototype website was available. Also, it was suggested that the survey be sent to the committee members prior to the e-mail going out.
Action: Send out the on-campus survey.
Wednesday, February 15, 2:30-3:30 (UC-103)