Date, Time and Location:
Wednesday, November 30, 2005, 2:30-4:00, UC-103
Maria Arroyo, Cheryl Clark, Stephen Conroy, Teresa O'Rourke, Pamela Gray Payton, Linda Peterson, Sr. Gina Rodee, Greg Zackowski
Agenda or Key Discussion Items:
- Introduce/Announce co-chairs: Steve Conroy, Sr. Gina Rodee
- Subcommittee updates
- Establish Spring 2006 timeline (meetings, objectives, subcommittee action items)
- Off-Campus Resources/Networking: need to review 2002-04 ACCU survey results – do not want to duplicate efforts; Greg and Larry will come up with a final version of the off-campus survey; Pam reviewed web for other CST resources – there are a lot of resources available; Pam will administer the creation of a CST website (initially containing an overview of CST and links to U.S. Bishops’ document and encyclicals; expanding to include ACCU survey data, on-campus inventory and off-campus survey results, and other resources).
- Campus Conversations: Cheryl has drafted a one-page overview of CST (handout), and would like CST committee to send her revisions. Cheryl will have subcommittee refine the overview (for web) and a one-paragraph definition (for the on-campus inventory and off-campus survey). May need to include the different terms associated with CST (i.e., “thought”, “teaching”, “thinking”). The subcommittee has made little headway in prioritizing its brainstorming ideas. There was discussion regarding the legal issues in “rewriting” the encyclicals to provide inclusive language. Sr. Gina noted that some sessions/talks are already in the works: Catholic Identity series (CST talk); Catholic Studies seminar (May 2006).
- On-Campus Inventory: Teresa provided handouts showing possible on-campus surveys for each division and requested input on the survey questions and how to distribute the survey within each division. The survey could become an educative moment so links to CST and SDI websites should be available, and the survey should go to all divisions and departments. Suggestions included: the survey should be sent to all chairs and directors in Academic Affairs, the AVPs in Student Affairs and University Relations (requesting it be distributed to all directors in these divisions), and to Mike and Sr. Gina in Mission and Ministry; a survey should be developed and sent to Finance and Administration; possibly beta test the survey to see if there are questions that need to be refined or included; may want to expand questions/options – use survey structure to focus data options for analysis and provide a short, easy survey (e.g., Which courses have you taught using CST - use list of classes from bulletin as a checklist); need to address (in e-mail cover letter) how the survey information will be used; have CLT help synthesize data and begin discussion on potential syllabus development and consistency. One unanswered question: what happens when one faculty includes CST in a course and another faculty teaching the same course but doesn’t include CST; may need to differentiate between if CST has ever been taught and to what extent it has been used.
- Timeline: created initial timeline covering December 2005 through March 2006.
- Future Meetings: decided to have one more committee meeting prior to the January 18 th workshop, with biweekly meetings beginning in late January-early February. Larry will e-mail committee members to solicit possible meetings times.
Wednesday, January 11 (time and location TBD)