Describe how your department will contribute to Inclusion and Diversity.
The ideas listed below are neither contracts nor commitments--they are ideas generated during a 15-minute brainstorming session by participants at the retreat. The participants were given no advance warning about the exercise, and these ideas represent their initial reactions of rising to the challenge of generating ideas in a short time. The ideas are posted here as a reference for the committee, who may follow up with departments with ideas for contributing to a more diverse and inclusive environment at USD.
|Idea #1||• Recruit Athletics staff and student athletes to improve diversity.|
|Idea #2||• Improve the education regarding diversity and inclusion.|
|Idea #3||• Activate the campus programs within the Athletic department and take a leadership role with our staff and students.|
|Idea #1||• Offer ESL (English as a second language) classes.|
|Idea #2||• Recruit more international students.
• More diversity in hiring.
|Idea #1||• Continue with ESL classes and expand.
• Coordinate with Dining Services (and English Language Academy).
• Coordinate Spanish classes for English-speaking employees.
|Idea #2||• Create department get-together to showcase ethnic backgrounds of department.|
|Idea #1||Improve understanding of diversity and inclusion by:
• Preparing current employee population to embrace diverse populations.
• Embracing cultural competency.
|Idea #2||• Employee recruitment: identify current population and where the gaps are.
• Identify target audiences to increase diversity of applicant pool.
• Increase recruitment in traditionally underrepresented groups.
|Idea #1||• Identify resources within USD community to assist with the translation of Public Safety reporting needs, through the International Programs department, for students, faculty and staff.|