Date, Time and Location:
Friday, March 3, 2006
Chairs: Beth Dobkin, Reuben Mitchell. Members: Michael Booth, Nicole Calantas, Michelle Chabot, Larry Gardepie, Alejandro Meter, John Mosby, Alberto Pulido, Steve Pultz, Virginia Rodee, Vicente Vargas.Beth Dobkin, Reuben Mitchell. Members: Michael Booth, Nicole Calantas, Michelle Chabot, Larry Gardepie, Alejandro Meter, John Mosby, Alberto Pulido, Steve Pultz, Virginia Rodee, Vicente Vargas.
Agenda or Key Discussion Items:
- We have until March 31 to register for NCORE. Potential attendees thus far are: Vicente, Alejandro, Larry, Mario, Moises, and a staff member from admissions.
- Beth will be talking to John Turner (student, BSU) about participation on the CID.
- There is a Strategic Initiatives reception planned for May 10, 3-5 p.m.
- About 145 students engaged in conversations with participants in our pilot, with messages left for many more. These were “early action” students only. Round two will involve the 1200 or so “regular” admit students of color. Steve will try to reserve Degheri again for April 3 and 4. Interested faculty who cannot come to the phone bank may elect to call students from their home or office during the following week. Beth will send out an invitation to all faculty next week, or as soon as the rooms are confirmed. The invitation will include an explanation of the goals and purpose of the phone bank. Mandy will draft a FAQ sheet for phone bank participants.
- Michelle and Gina will be reviewing Circle scholarships next week and will be using the ratings sheet distributed at the meeting, with one change in the criteria. They have also offered to provide feedback on form (and hopefully the process, too, once we’ve run through it).
- Chris can provide staff support for our webpage, which has been elevated in priority. Beth will help draft the landing page material, which should present a brief business and educational case for diversity. Steve and Vicente have offered to help, and we will ask Pam Gray to participate as well. This group should probably meet at least once in advance of the March 24 meeting to provide a draft template for the rest of the committee.
- Subcommittees are in the works; we will have three (in addition to the webpage one):
- Faculty Recruitment (Alejandro, Michelle, Gregory)
- Student Recruitment and Outreach (Mandy, Steve, John)
- Cultural Competencies ([beginning with a student focus] Moises, Alberto, Vicente, Nicole)
- We should begin brainstorming about non-CID members for these subcommittees; for instance, the Student Outreach one might include Mike Austin and Cynthia Villis, and the Competencies one should include Guadalupe Corona. Beth has asked the first member of each of these groups to coordinate the subcommittee meetings; one step we might take before March 24 would be to convene and suggest group composition and connection with existing campus initiatives.
For March 24: Charting organizational progress on diversity and inclusion.
Friday, March 24, 2006