Proposed action objective:
- To form and maintain a collaborative body that will explore the features of an integrated learning experience for the sophomore year at USD.
- To create an institutional framework/model for the sophomore year at USD.
- To recommend the appropriate structural, programmatic, administrative, and policy changes in addition to an appropriate strategic timeline.
- To oversee and manage implementation of an overall Sophomore Experience at USD.
How does this objective contribute to one or more of USD’s overall strategic goals?
The objectives of the Sophomore Experience encompass everything USD does, essentially the entire University operation, for sophomore undergraduate students. In this project we hope to develop a comprehensive and integrated experience from the time sophomores begin their second year, until the fall of their junior year. (This initiative is mainly across the Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, and Mission and Ministry divisions.)
Several strategic goals will be supported through the work of the sophomore year experience, including Goal #1 (more culturally competent community), Goal #2 (integrated learning experiences across educational contexts), Goal #4 (privileged place to the liberal arts and sciences), and Goal #5 (stronger and clearer institutional identity).
Who is responsible for implementing and monitoring this objective?
- Co-chairs of the Sophomore Year Experience committee to be determined (maybe use the current FYE committee and add this on as additional responsibilities).
- Currently, while in the planning stages, Residence Life and Student Learning are taking a lead role in planning the residential component of the sophomore year. Strong collaboration with Academic Affairs is necessary and will be incorporated in future planning.
What steps are necessary to achieve this objective?
- Establish a permanent body responsible for development, implementation, maintenance, and evaluation of a comprehensive and integrated sophomore experience (maybe use the current FYE committee and expand their charge).
- Prepare a philosophy statement and learning outcomes for the sophomore experience at USD.
- Build several common experiences into the sophomore-year experience for all students (i.e., residential and commuter).
- Determine any necessary changes and/or additions to organizational structures or personnel to support the sophomore-year experience.
- Build an assessment system to assess student learning of sophomore students in relation to USD-specific desired learning outcomes.
- Monitor and evaluate overall sophomore-year experience continuously to determine and implement appropriate changes and/or improvements as necessary.
- Conceptualize and develop new and revitalized sophomore experience programs, services and activities for all students built around the residential living and learning experience, including the following:
- Plan new high quality housing with student input
- Revitalize sophomore RA role, including the design of a comprehensive training program.
- Enhance and increase faculty connections to residence halls.
- Expand learning community options for sophomore students living in the residence halls.
What measurable indicator(s) can be used to monitor progress?
- More faculty are interested in Resident Faculty positions than there are positions available
- Workshop series available for all sophomore students exists and is integrated with FYE workshops and Wisdom for the Real World workshops
- Series of discussions/activities with faculty in the residence halls exist
- Residential Learning Communities exist which offer expanded options for students to live with other students with similar interests and/or shared classes
- Specialized training and increased responsibility for sophomore area resident assistants.
- Sophomore year webpage exists
- Resident Satisfaction Data and Residential Experience Survey
Proposed timeline—what is to be accomplished by:
|2005-06||Approval of new housing. Facilitate focus groups and surveys about the idea of a sophomore requirement.|
|2006-07||Begin building first phase of new housing. Expand the charge of the FYE committee to develop learning outcomes and program recommendations for the sophomore year.|
|2007-08||First year of the sophomore housing. Implement sophomore year experience.|
|2008-09||Assessment and evaluation of Sophomore Year and modify as necessary.|
|2009-10||Continue assessment and evaluation of Sophomore Year and modify as necessary.|
What resources will be required to accomplish this objective?
|Technical||Web support (Crossroads desk person can assist if info about this initiative is centered on the Residence Life web page that she maintains)|